destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]'s Reviews > Mera: Tidebreaker

Mera by Danielle  Paige

I should preface this review by saying, at the time of writing this review (January 2019), I've yet to see the new Aquaman film and I have no familiarity with these characters and storyline. I don’t know if that made me more or less likely to enjoy this standing on its own, but I thought it was a pretty fun story regardless. Mera is a fairly stereotypical, run-of-the-mill superhero/princess type, and there’s really nothing about this story or these characters that stands out as original, unique, or creative, but despite all of that, it’s a likeable (if predictable) plotline with really stunning artwork. If you’re looking for something to blow you away, I doubt it’ll be Mera: Tidebreaker, but if you’re just looking for a good time with some action and a cool oceanic setting, she’s your girl.

Thank you so much to the publisher for providing me with this ARC in exchange for an honest review!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mera.

January 14, 2019 – Shelved
January 14, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
January 22, 2019 – Started Reading
January 22, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019-reads
January 22, 2019 – Shelved as: fantasy
January 22, 2019 – Shelved as: young-adult
January 22, 2019 – Shelved as: graphic-novels-manga-comics
January 22, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] Leanne wrote: "Is that unusual? I’ve never heard of that"

A lot of publishers do have it listed in their guidelines on NetGalley, but DC is one of the few I've heard of actually contacting bloggers and asking them to remove the reviews until the release date. I always try to follow the publisher's request if I'm aware of it, even if they're not strict. :)

Alex Can Read It's reallllllly common in comics reviewing, and since DC is a comics publisher that's their default stance. No reviews until release day.

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] Alex Can Read wrote: "It's reallllllly common in comics reviewing, and since DC is a comics publisher that's their default stance. No reviews until release day."

I didn't know it was common with comics! I can see why, though. I mostly review graphic novels like Oni Press, etc., and they're not as strict. I feel like publishers have every right to be strict, though, so I'm not complaining!

message 4: by Clare (new)

Clare Snow There's quite a few reviews on GR though.

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] Clare wrote: "There's quite a few reviews on GR though.

What do you think of Danielle Paige's involvement with Full Fathom Five? I will always think her titles are ghost written because of it."

Yup, and they're breaking the embargo rules. :) Good on them if the publishers don't ask them to remove the reviews but it doesn't change the rule.

I honestly know nothing about that, sorry. I've never read anything by Danielle Paige before this and didn't really recognize her name.

Julith Perry Hey, if you don't mind me asking where did DC Comics post about the embargo rules? Just curious as I am reading this title now and wanted to review it but I don't want to break any rules.

Madi ~☆TheBookNerdDiaries☆~ Julith wrote: "Hey, if you don't mind me asking where did DC Comics post about the embargo rules? Just curious as I am reading this title now and wanted to review it but I don't want to break any rules."

It was specified in the emails that the publisher sent to me:
"All review coverage is embargoed until publication date on April 2, 2019."

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] Madi ~☆TheBookNerdDiaries☆~ wrote: "Julith wrote: "Hey, if you don't mind me asking where did DC Comics post about the embargo rules? Just curious as I am reading this title now and wanted to review it but I don't want to break any r..."

Yes, this is what my email said, too, and it was also in their Publisher Details on NetGalley:

"Do not publish your review before the release date unless prior arrangements have been approved by one of our publicists."

Hope this helps! :)

Julith Perry destiny ♡⚔♡ wrote: "Madi ~☆TheBookNerdDiaries☆~ wrote: "Julith wrote: "Hey, if you don't mind me asking where did DC Comics post about the embargo rules? Just curious as I am reading this title now and wanted to revie..."

Thank you guys so much, I didn't get an email saying that so I just wanted to make sure! You guys helped so much! :)

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] Julith wrote: "destiny ♡⚔♡ wrote: "Madi ~☆TheBookNerdDiaries☆~ wrote: "Julith wrote: "Hey, if you don't mind me asking where did DC Comics post about the embargo rules? Just curious as I am reading this title now..."

You're welcome! ♥

Madi ~☆TheBookNerdDiaries☆~ Julith wrote: "destiny ♡⚔♡ wrote: "Madi ~☆TheBookNerdDiaries☆~ wrote: "Julith wrote: "Hey, if you don't mind me asking where did DC Comics post about the embargo rules? Just curious as I am reading this title now..."

No problem!

message 12: by Ellyn (new)

Ellyn   → Allonsythornraxx Destiny, Aquaman is such a fun movie, I definitely recommed it! 😍

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] Ellyn wrote: "Destiny, Aquaman is such a fun movie, I definitely recommed it! 😍"

Awesome, thank you, love! I'll have to check it out some time!