B.A. Wilson's Reviews > Mera: Tidebreaker

Mera by Danielle  Paige

24206425

it was ok
bookshelves: graphic-novels, 2019-alphabet-challenge

I absolutely love graphic novels, but ultimately, this one was disappointing. It has an uncomfortable or confusing start that is hard to settle into, followed by a storyline that is at first convoluted, and then so simplistic that it is boring and completely predictable.

For a medium that should be perfect for showing, there is so much telling in this story. I got tired of looking at flat scenes, while reading endlessly long bubbles explaining the story and backstory and how everyone was feeling. For goodness sake, just show me something worth caring about. Anytime there was an action scene, which was rare, it was rarely clear what exactly was going on in the scene, based on the artwork, which I also found frustrating.

Don’t expect to get attached to any exciting side characters, as they are all undeveloped and feel one dimensional. They just seem to be there as tools for the main characters to talk at.

At first, I thought the artwork had a dramatic and moody feel about it, which was great. Then I realized that the orange hair and lipstick for the MC was necessary because the artwork is so inconsistent from panel to panel. None of her features remain set throughout the novel. In one moment she has a bulbous nose. Then it is pointy. Then it is upturned. Then it is downturned. None of her basic features are drawn consistently, especially not the shape of her face, which varies widely throughout panels. I thought the hair and lipstick was there to make her stand out, but it turns out it was a necessary tool to identify her, since she continually looks like a different person.

As for the instalove, which I’m totally good with when it is done well, or is followed up by emotions that feel real, this was absolutely unconvincing and boring to boot. It almost became preachy, and I had to force myself through some of the scenes which were tedious and repetitive and just wouldn’t end. Then there is the actual ending of this meandering story, which is completely anticlimactic and full of blah, so don’t expect to feel satisfied when you close the novel.

I do thank Netgalley for allowing me to read this novel in advance, but overall, I think graphic novel and superhero fans should pass on this one, as there are far better options.

Book 25 read in 2019

Pages: 192

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mera.

January 14, 2019 – Started Reading
January 14, 2019 – Shelved
January 15, 2019 – Shelved as: graphic-novels
January 15, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019-alphabet-challenge
January 15, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Turner (new) - added it

Turner Keith Reeves Well written review... But I'm completely sure we didn't read the same book. Lol

B.A. Wilson You know, that’s the thing about reading. :) To each their own. I’m glad the book is finding its audience.