Karen's Reviews > Brave, Not Perfect: Fear Less, Fail More, and Live Bolder

Brave, Not Perfect by Reshma Saujani

190448

What a fantastic book! 4.5 stars.

Reshma Saujani's TED talk was recommended to me by several colleagues at work, so when I saw the book, I knew a little about its premise. I have two boys, and yet, I am a girl :) So it was quite interesting reading this book with both my mom filter on and as a woman myself. I've already recommended it to all the parents I know, because so much of this book is about highlighting behavior that exists in a way that feels indoctrinated. Things we don't do consciously maybe because we've done them this way such a long time. It's highlighting the invisible hidden in plain sight.

And like most truths, once you see it, you can't unsee it.

A few years ago, I picked "brave" as my word of the year so that I could become braver. And one of the biggest shifts that happened that year wasn't that I became brave but that I realized how brave I already was. The author talks about the positive cycle of how bravery begets bravery and that is very much the case. So does realizing how brave you are because it shifts the way you see yourself and now you're no longer "afraid" to be brave. It is imperative that we turn this cycle around for our girls. The subtle (and not so subtle) push towards perfection is one of the most damaging signals women receive (and then internalize.) I still see this people-pleasing, "looking perfect on the outside but falling apart on the inside" every single day. Not only does it curb our potential as women, it also keeps us disconnected from each other because it's not possible to have real connection/belonging without authenticity.

I've highlighted so much of this book and I will continue to recommend it to every parent (and woman) I know. We can only do better when we know better and this book is a solid step forward in that direction. And it also has tangible, specific next steps you can take to move into the practice of bravery.

Thank you Reshma Saujani for helping us all get less perfect and braver. (and thank you netgalley for the early preview of this awesome book!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brave, Not Perfect.

January 14, 2019 – Started Reading