Karen's Reviews > The Widows

The Widows by Jess Montgomery

190448

What a fantastic book!

Historical Fiction is not my favorite genre. It's not generally what I would lean towards but I've read many in my time and, as with most other genres, what makes or breaks the novel for me is the characters. The character development in this novel is deep, rich and layered. The writing is solid and has just enough texture to envelop you in the atmosphere and is not so flowery (which I feel is sometimes the case for historical fiction) that it gets in the way. The fact that her characters happen to be a strong female characters is just an icing on the cake.

This novel doesn't move fast. While there's a crime (or two) at its center, it's also not a who-did-it. While the characters are motivated by the events that precipitates their meeting, it's so much more than that. It takes place in the 1920s and speaks to issues around coal mining, unionization, power balance (or imbalance), women and their place in society, and just so much more. All of these are the underpinnings and they are the layers of this story.

But all of that would have been nothing without the amazing character work. At its core, it's a character-driven story and that is, by far, the very best part of this novel. I really enjoyed it and look forward to reading more from this new author!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Widows.

January 14, 2019 – Started Reading