Chelsea Humphrey's Reviews > Run Away

Run Away by Harlan Coben

47207032

bookshelves: from-publisher
Recommended to Chelsea by: Jamie beauty_andthebook_

Simon's eyes stayed locked on the panhandling girl mangling John Lennon's legacy. Her hair was matted clumps. Her cheekbones were sunken. The girl was rail-thin, raggedy, dirty, damaged, homeless, lost. She was also Simon's daughter Paige."

Over the years, I've found myself moved on a deeply emotional level when I read stories about parents trying to save their wayward children. This is likely due to the fact I'm now a parent myself, and even though my kids are still young and dependent upon me for most everything, I still find myself getting lost in the "what ifs" that come with having another person's life being your responsibility. As children grow and become young adults themselves, at what age is the line drawn where they become dependent on themselves and cut out the middle man? And at what point, as a parent, are we supposed to step back and let our kids make their own mistakes vs. roaming the ends of the earth to save them from life-altering mishaps? These are some of the debates that Coben tackles in his latest thriller.

Don't get me wrong; when I use the term emotional I do not belittle the fact that Run Away is simultaneously a compulsive page turner and a rip-roaring adventure that delves deep in the underbelly of every form of seedy activity you can imagine going on in New York City. Due to Simon and his loved ones being a privileged white family living a more than comfortable life, it was interesting to see how the author picked apart the details of their privilege and how, at the end of the day, it did nothing to protect them from the nightmare they endured. Simon works as a financial advisor on Wall Street and his wife is a pediatrician in NYC as well, and their children grew up sheltered within that cocoon of wealth and providence.

As an avid reader of thrillers and mysteries, we all know it grows more and more difficult to find novels that keep us guessing and entertained for roughly 300-500 pages. The beauty of Coben's books, and what I think a significant number of debuts lack, is the simple aspect of writing characters who come alive off the page and matter to the reader. Once again, Run Away focuses more on drawing the reader in by becoming the conduit to connect reader to cast which results in a memorable read, much more memorable than putting all the proverbial eggs into the "wild, unimaginable twist". Don't get me wrong, there were a few good twists here, and one that I was so blindsided by that I had to reread a certain page THREE TIMES to make sure I was understanding correctly, but the details that have kept me picking up Harlan Coben novels for over a decade now are the deeply personal characters.

And this, my friends, is why Harlan Coben remains KING of the thriller.

description

*I received a review copy via the publisher.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Run Away.

January 14, 2019 – Shelved
February 1, 2019 – Started Reading
February 1, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)

Caryn Traveling later this week and think this is what I’ll be taking for the plane and pool ;)

Chelsea Humphrey Caryn wrote: "Traveling later this week and think this is what I’ll be taking for the plane and pool ;)"

Enjoy my friend! 🤗

message 3: by Janica (new) - added it

Janica Adams I love every book I've picked from your list. Added

Chelsea Humphrey Janica wrote: "I love every book I've picked from your list. Added"

Ah thank you! <3 I hope you enjoy this one as well!

Lauren Looking forward to this one!

Chelsea Humphrey Lauren wrote: "Looking forward to this one!"

I hope you enjoy it Lauren!

message 7: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Oslowski I love Coben. How do you get an early copy? Not through NetGalley right?

Chelsea Humphrey Jennifer wrote: "I love Coben. How do you get an early copy? Not through NetGalley right?"

The publisher sent a paper arc. I do think they may have sent some arcs out via Edelweiss though!

message 9: by Jayne (new) - added it

Jayne Added! Been on a thriller bend lately and this seems perfect. Can't wait to get my hands on this!

Chelsea Humphrey Jayne wrote: "Added! Been on a thriller bend lately and this seems perfect. Can't wait to get my hands on this!"

I can’t wait for you to read it Jayne!

message 11: by Shannon (new)

Shannon 5 stars?!? Yaaaas

Chelsea Humphrey Shannon wrote: "5 stars?!? Yaaaas"

Girl it was so good. I figured out some of it ahead of time but there was one twist that I had to go back and re-read the page 3 times! 🤣

message 13: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Oslowski Thank you! I have to find out who his publisher is.. meanwhile I received a notification the other day that I earned some kind of badge for being a big Coben fan. haha..

Chelsea Humphrey Jennifer wrote: "Thank you! I have to find out who his publisher is.. meanwhile I received a notification the other day that I earned some kind of badge for being a big Coben fan. haha.."

This one is from Grand Central Publishing. 💖

Jess☺️ Fantastic review Chelsea!!! 😊

Chelsea Humphrey Jess☺️ wrote: "Fantastic review Chelsea!!! 😊"

Thanks love; hope you’re doing well!

Debra Fabulous review, Chelsea!

Chelsea Humphrey Debra wrote: "Fabulous review, Chelsea!"

Thanks so much Debra! Hope you enjoy as well!

Jess☺️ Yes thanks same old same old as us British would say 😉 hope your ok yourself??😘

Chelsea Humphrey Jess☺️ wrote: "Yes thanks same old same old as us British would say 😉 hope your ok yourself??😘"

Doing well thanks! <3

message 21: by Michael (new)

Michael Love how personal your reviews can be, another excellent one my friend:)

Chelsea Humphrey Michael wrote: "Love how personal your reviews can be, another excellent one my friend:)"

Thank you so much dear! 🤗

Emily May Great review! I really related to your opening sentences. I also find myself deeply moved by books about the parent/child relationship ever since I had kids of my own. I definitely need to get my hands on this one.

Chelsea Humphrey Emily May wrote: "Great review! I really related to your opening sentences. I also find myself deeply moved by books about the parent/child relationship ever since I had kids of my own. I definitely need to get my h..."

I'm so happy to hear that Em; as always I'll be waiting on pins and needles for your thoughts! <3

message 25: by Amelia (new) - added it

Amelia Strydom He is an amazing writer, my go-to when I am in a reading slump- he always delivers. You wrote such a great, thoughtful review. Three of my kids are young adults now, and I am really battling with those questions- on a practical level. Being a mom isn't for sissies!

Chelsea Humphrey Amelia wrote: "He is an amazing writer, my go-to when I am in a reading slump- he always delivers. You wrote such a great, thoughtful review. Three of my kids are young adults now, and I am really battling with t..."

Thank you so much Amelia; I hope you enjoy this one! I can't wait to read your thoughts, as you have kids closer to the age of those in the book than I do.

Jenn(Storyas_blog) AGREE!!! Standing ovation!

Chelsea Humphrey Jenn(Storyas_blog) wrote: "AGREE!!! Standing ovation!"

So glad you loved this too!

Tyrone Stokes I received an arc a few weeks ago and finally took the time to read it over the weekend. I loved the book...yes it has some great twists indeed! 5 stars from me!

Chelsea Humphrey Tyrone wrote: "I received an arc a few weeks ago and finally took the time to read it over the weekend. I loved the book...yes it has some great twists indeed! 5 stars from me!"

So happy you enjoyed it as well Tyrone! 🙌🏼

Sherri Thacker Great review! Reading it now

message 32: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Peden Thank you for the great review! Can’t wait to read this one. I’ve never read Coben before.

Chelsea Humphrey Laura wrote: "Thank you for the great review! Can’t wait to read this one. I’ve never read Coben before."

Sherri wrote: "Great review! Reading it now"

Thank you! I hope you both enjoy it! 💖

message 34: by Julie (JuJu) (new) - added it

Julie (JuJu) I’ve read a couple of his books and really enjoyed them! I’m planning on reading this one.

Chelsea Humphrey JuJu (Julie) wrote: "I’ve read a couple of his books and really enjoyed them! I’m planning on reading this one."

I hope you enjoy this one as well! 🤗

Donna Hines can't wait to get my copy on hold at library. Great review. Glad you enjoyed it.

Chelsea Humphrey Donna wrote: "can't wait to get my copy on hold at library. Great review. Glad you enjoyed it."

Thanks Donna; hope you enjoy it as well!

Lauren I love Harlan Coben! Can't wait to read this one, thanks for the great review :)

Chelsea Humphrey Lauren wrote: "I love Harlan Coben! Can't wait to read this one, thanks for the great review :)"

You’re welcome Lauren; enjoy!

message 40: by Shea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shea Lessing Yay just bought this book and u always have good reviews/recommendations

message 41: by Elena (new)

Elena i have this one on hold from my library and i can't wait for it! i've heard nothing but great things about it.

Chelsea Humphrey Maggie wrote: "i have this one on hold from my library and i can't wait for it! i've heard nothing but great things about it."

Shea wrote: "Yay just bought this book and u always have good reviews/recommendations"

I hope you both enjoy it!!!

message 43: by Linda (new)

Linda Wells Great review! I'm a Coben fan and can't wait to read this one.

Chelsea Humphrey Linda wrote: "Great review! I'm a Coben fan and can't wait to read this one."

Hooray! Hope you enjoy it Linda! 💖🤗

Brenda -Traveling Sister Excellent review, Chelsea. I really need to read this one soon!

Chelsea Humphrey Brenda - Traveling Sister wrote: "Excellent review, Chelsea. I really need to read this one soon!"

I hope you enjoy it Brenda!

message 47: by Kaceey (new) - added it

Kaceey Fabulous review Chelsea! Susanne and I are reading this one right now! I agree he is KING of the thrillers!💖

Chelsea Humphrey Kaceey wrote: "Fabulous review Chelsea! Susanne and I are reading this one right now! I agree he is KING of the thrillers!💖"

I am eagerly awaiting both of your reviews! 😍

message 49: by Luigi (new)

Luigi Thanks for the review Chelsea, you convinced me to add it to my want to reads:)

Chelsea Humphrey Luigi wrote: "Thanks for the review Chelsea, you convinced me to add it to my want to reads:)"

So glad to hear it; enjoy!

« previous 1