Lisa's Reviews > It's Okay to Miss the Bed on the First Jump: And Other Life Lessons I Learned from Dogs

It's Okay to Miss the Bed on the First Jump by John O'Hurley

it was ok
bookshelves: reviewed

It could be that I'm simply judging books harder the more I read, but my average rating has been dropping lately. I hesitate to rate this book a 2, because in my mind that screams "don't read; waste of time!" Then again, it was simply "okay." So, 2.5. Now that I feel better....

I went into this thinking that I would read funny and charming tales about the author's dogs. Instead, I feel this is one of those book deals only offered to a famous person: an opportunity for him to write about his life and loosely tie his experiences into a topic the public actually wants to read about. While the premise sounds like it will be about dogs, the actual meat of the book skews much more towards the author's quasi-achievements in his youth and the lessons he learned...which he then kind of sort of mushed together with common dog characteristics. These are not the hilarious retellings of antics a dog such as Marley would get into. Instead, one of his lessons is literally "I learned to not be ashamed to take naps because dogs take naps and they don't apologize for it." You know what else dogs don't apologize for? Licking themselves and eating rabbit poop.

Overall, a bland book that's definitely not breaking new ground when it comes to understanding, indulging, or being entertained by our canines.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read It's Okay to Miss the Bed on the First Jump.

Started Reading