megs_bookrack's Reviews > Second Lives

Second Lives by P.D. Cacek

bookshelves: arcs-read

**3.5-stars rounded up**

My exact thoughts upon completing this:

Eight people die.
Four come back but not as they were before.
Or should I say WHO they were before.

Intriguing premise, right?

It certainly is and I think Cacek did a wonderful job of weaving this highly detailed, slightly odd tale together.

The writing was very solid. You can definitely tell that Cacek is an experienced author.
Each chapter was like a short story unto itself. It was quite impressive. For those of you who enjoy short story collections, I feel like this book could really work for you.

Creative and unique, this story made me really sad. I feel like it is suppose to be a story about hope, love, relationships and sacrifice for others but honesty, it bummed me out. Some of the characters end up in fairly hopeless circumstances and are forced to begin again with no choice.

I thought going into this that it was a horror novel but after reading it, I wouldn't personally classify it as such. It seemed more speculative fiction to me. There were a few chilling moments, mostly due to the thought of imagining something like this actually happening to you or a loved one.

We get a couple of hints throughout that the events of this story are a phenomenon occurring around the world but this book focuses on patients in one hospital. They are all strangers but through various doctors have their cases ultimately connected. The book seemed to be broken up into three distinct parts: learning about each character, the soul shuffle and the aftermath. I liked the format a lot and thought it was an agreeable way to present the story.

Other than that, I can really not say too much more without giving anything away. I think if you like eccentric stories that explore life's darker side, you should give this one a shot. I definitely am interested in chatting about this with some other bookworms, so if you ever read it, message me!

A big thank you to the publisher, Flame Tree Press, for providing me with a copy to read and review. I appreciate the opportunity!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Second Lives.

January 14, 2019 – Shelved
January 14, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
April 7, 2019 – Started Reading
April 8, 2019 –
page 21
April 12, 2019 –
page 42
16.41% "Finding Cacek's writing very agreeable to my tastes!"
April 13, 2019 –
page 84
32.81% "Cacek can tell an entire story within each chapter. It's pretty incredible.
I know this doesn't really make sense but if you read it, you'll know what I mean!"
April 15, 2019 –

Getting so good!!"
April 16, 2019 –
page 152
59.38% "Chills.
That was the best chapter!!"
April 17, 2019 –
page 186
72.66% "Wooooooo- made some progress tonight!"
April 19, 2019 –
page 204
79.69% "This is making me sad.
What a hopeless situation for these people!"
April 22, 2019 –
page 238
92.97% "Why is this ripping my heart out?!?!"
April 23, 2019 –
page 252
April 25, 2019 – Shelved as: arcs-read
April 25, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Dita (new)

Dita Yikes, sounds creepy good!

megs_bookrack Dita wrote: "Yikes, sounds creepy good!" It was very good. It's hard to explain but explores reincarnation in an unusual way.

megs_bookrack Dita wrote: "Yikes, sounds creepy good!" The writing is top notch!