Michelle 's Reviews > Analiese Rising

Analiese Rising by Brenda Drake

Analiese Rising is a young adult fantasy romance by Brenda Drake. I love Brenda's Library Jumper series hardcore, so I was super excited to see a new novel come out from her. Analiese Rising is a standalone novel, but I can easily see a sequel, spin off or companion novel come from this world and these characters, and I really hope we do get to see more into this world. It is no secret that I am a huge fan of mythology, and the awesome thing about Analiese Rising is that this book does not only incorporate one  area of mythology, but instead pulls in gods and goddesses from all types and aspects of myth from many different cultures, which was really cool.

I loved that this book set us off on an instant adventure with our main character, Analiese, who finds out that she is a descendant of a god of death. She runs into a stranger that hands her a mysterious list of names. And one of the names is her own. He then tells her that she is in trouble and that she needs to find his grandson and deliver a package to him. I love instant adventure/quest type stories because they immediately draw you in and hook you, which is exactly what happened to me with Analiese Rising. I was gripped from pretty much the first page, which is a big deal. No slow build here. On her journey to figure out why she is sent to deliver a bag to a stranger's grandson, Analiese uncovers a whole new world of magic and mythology. Along the way she meets Merek (the grandson) and their adventure was filled with so much fun. It had Percy Jackson and Meg Cabot's Abandon series vibes, but on a more diverse mythological scale.

Analiese learns more about her powers and about who she is throughout the story as well, which was pretty cool. She is  a Riser, which means she has the power to raise the dead. I loved learning about her powers, and seeing her uncover some other secrets about Risers and the Gods. Though there were a few cringe worthy moments with the characters, and although the ending felt a bit rushed to me (which is part of why I am hoping for another book in this world!) I really enjoyed the adventure and the romance. Merek is awesome! I think a ton of characters will love him instantly. Analiese Rising is a really fun romantic fantasy. Perfect for fans of mythology.

This review was originally posted on Book Briefs

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Analiese Rising.

Started Reading