Tammy's Reviews > Disappearing Earth

Disappearing Earth by Julia  Phillips

Kamchatka. My only knowledge of Kamchatka was that it is the name of cheap vodka my friends and I drank during our salad days. We re-named it “coming atcha” when we became employed and could afford premium vodka. Actually, the Kamchatka peninsula is located in the far east of Russia and is isolated by water and mountains. Kamchatka is a land of extremes from tundra to volcanoes to verdant forests and the descriptions of the peninsula are jaw dropping. I'm not sure of the reason but I was startled that the indigenous people, the Evens, are treated with disdain by Caucasian Russians. More than likely this is the result of yet another knowledge gap. Anyway, it is in Kamchatka that two little girls go missing. Despite the premise, this is not a thriller. It reads almost like a series of interconnected short stories, that is, almost but not quite. The disappearance of these girls has a ripple effect throughout the community over the course of a year. Six degrees of separation, indeed. This is a staggering work of originality, insight and depth.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Disappearing Earth.

January 14, 2019 – Started Reading
January 14, 2019 – Shelved
January 15, 2019 –
page 137
January 17, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)

Cheri I can't wait to read your thoughts on this, Tammy. Five stars is impressive!

Tammy Cheri wrote: "I can't wait to read your thoughts on this, Tammy. Five stars is impressive!"

I will try to post something soon. I’m so far behind on reviews that I’ve lost count

message 3: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Excellent review, Tammy! 😊 This sounds really interesting.

Tammy Michelle wrote: "Excellent review, Tammy! 😊 This sounds really interesting."

Thanks, Michelle. It is superb.

message 5: by Felicia (new)

Felicia Terrific review, Tammy 💖

Beata This is a region full of mystery and tragedy .... beautiful review, Tammy 😊

message 7: by Marialyce (new) - added it

Marialyce This sounds quite different, yet very alluring. OK, you hooked me into adding another book to my "small" TBR.

Tammy Beata wrote: "This is a region full of mystery and tragedy .... beautiful review, Tammy 😊"

Thanks, Beata! I knew nothing about this region. Color me typically American (and embarrassed).

Tammy Marialyce wrote: "This sounds quite different, yet very alluring. OK, you hooked me into adding another book to my "small" TBR."

I think this is truly stunning. I hope you get to it, Marialyce.

Tammy Felicia wrote: "Terrific review, Tammy 💖"

Thanks much, Felicia! xo

message 11: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Tammy, sounds awesome!

Tammy Lisa wrote: "Tammy, sounds awesome!"

It is spectacular, Lisa, if you like literary novels

Natalie Sounds interesting, Tammy! I might just give it a try.

message 14: by Candi (new) - added it

Candi Great review, Tammy! I'm sold!

message 15: by Connie (new) - added it

Connie G It sounds wonderful, Tammy! Another one for the TBR.

message 16: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Excellent review , Tammy.

Tammy Natalie wrote: "Sounds interesting, Tammy! I might just give it a try."

It’s one of the most original novels I’ve read in quite a while, Natalie

Tammy Candi wrote: "Great review, Tammy! I'm sold!"

Thanks, Candi! I really hope you like it

Tammy Connie wrote: "It sounds wonderful, Tammy! Another one for the TBR."

It is wonderful, Connie! Enjoy!

Tammy Angela M wrote: "Excellent review , Tammy."

Thanks, Angela

message 21: by Kaceey (new)

Kaceey Terrific review Tammy!🤗

Melissa Crytzer Fry Ok, yep... after your review, I'm SOLD!!! Love those landscape descriptions!!!

Tammy Melissa wrote: "Ok, yep... after your review, I'm SOLD!!! Love those landscape descriptions!!!"

You are going to love this, Melissa!

message 24: by JanB (new) - added it

JanB Intriguing review Tammy! I'm going to have to consider this one after reading your terrific review.

Tammy JanB wrote: "Intriguing review Tammy! I'm going to have to consider this one after reading your terrific review."

Thanks, Jan! It’s well worth reading

message 26: by Jaline (new) - added it

Jaline Your wonderful review definitely caught my attention, Tammy! I've added this one - thanks!! :)

Tammy Jaline wrote: "Your wonderful review definitely caught my attention, Tammy! I've added this one - thanks!! :)"

It’s remarkable, Jaline! I hope you enjoy

Elyse (retired from reviewing/semi hiatus) Walters Vodka - huh? Lol
Great review 💕💖🥰📚

Tammy Elyse wrote: "Vodka - huh? Lol
Great review 💕💖🥰📚"

Thanks, Elyse. There was also a really cheap wine we used to drink. We called it ‘Papa Joe’ because the founder’s picture was on the label. 🍷🙃😘 “Those were the days my friend.”

message 30: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Fabulous review, Tammy!

Tammy Meredith wrote: "Fabulous review, Tammy!"

Thanks much, Meredith!

Elyse (retired from reviewing/semi hiatus) Walters Love it, Tammy! The good old day!!!! 🍷🍫...💕💕💕💕