may ➹'s Reviews > Ruin and Rising

Ruin and Rising by Leigh Bardugo

can you believe I had the NERVE to actually enjoy this book when I didn’t like the first two books I’m so disappointed in myself

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ruin and Rising.

January 14, 2019 – Shelved
January 14, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
January 25, 2019 – Started Reading
January 26, 2019 –
17.3% "
“You might make me a better man.”
“And you might make me a monster.”

I--"
page 275
65.17% "I...hate that I’m actually liking this

also why didn’t I hear about the f/f couple in this book??? you all are COWARDS"
January 27, 2019 – Finished Reading
January 30, 2019 – Shelved as: pov-1st
January 30, 2019 – Shelved as: pov-female
January 30, 2019 – Shelved as: surprising
January 30, 2019 – Shelved as: young-adult

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)

message 1: by Amy (last edited Jan 14, 2019 05:49AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy I am in the same boat. Struggling to finish this series because I HATE IT. I love SoC so much that I want to read King of Scars, but I have been reading this for months. UGH!

I don't understand how this is the same author who wrote SoC.

message 2: by Divine (new)

Divine Anas OHMYGLOB SAME FEELINGS. I only read the first book but I really reallllllyyyyy loved SoC /3 and def want to read King of Scars

message 3: by Chiara (new) - added it

Chiara I finished this book last night because of the same reaons (I didn't think it was that terrible until the last 100 pages though). I love Nikolai so much and also the glow up of Leigh Bardugos writing between the Shadow and Bone Triology and SoC is probably the biggest and best one I've seen/read

Sophie It's funny how much I dislikes this series and loved SoC. I'm glad I gave her another chance!

Sophie Also Mal is the wooooooorst and totally lives up to his name.

Taasia ✨ ugh what a mood, i'm going to try to get through this now

cait I’m crying because that was me the last 3-4 days trying to binge those books to get them over with! “Keep going for Nikolai... do it for him...”

message 8: by Jay (new) - added it

Jay I'm stressed I want to read this series first but I keep hearing it's a struggle to get through! I'll just be a rebel and read SoC first instead yolo

BookHugger for some reason this one was my favorite of the trilogy and i still cannot comprehend why because everyone else haTES it

Denisse Me too, almost!

may ➹ Amy wrote: "I am in the same boat. Struggling to finish this series because I HATE IT. I love SoC so much that I want to read King of Scars, but I have been reading this for months. UGH!

I don't understand h..."

Leigh’s glow up from the Grisha trilogy to the SoC duology is literally astonishing I have no idea how she did it

may ➹ Divine wrote: "OHMYGLOB SAME FEELINGS. I only read the first book but I really reallllllyyyyy loved SoC /3 and def want to read King of Scars"

I’m glad I read R&R in the end though since I ended up liking it haha!

may ➹ Chiara wrote: "I finished this book last night because of the same reaons (I didn't think it was that terrible until the last 100 pages though). I love Nikolai so much and also the glow up of Leigh Bardugos writi..."

yesss I agree so much!! I could see a few hints of Leigh’s writing talent in the trilogy but just barely, and then in Six of Crows the whole thing is just a masterpiece

message 14: by Ebe (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ebe I just finished this book yesterday!! It's so strange how the same author wrote SoC but the only reason I read this series was so that I'd be ready for KoS, which I am so excited to read!!

Astro Oh my God! I thought I was the only one feeling this way lol😂

may ➹ Sophie wrote: "It's funny how much I dislikes this series and loved SoC. I'm glad I gave her another chance!"

ah I read SoC before the trilogy but I honestly was expecting its poor writing !!

may ➹ Taasia wrote: "ugh what a mood, i'm going to try to get through this now"

well I see you rated it 3 stars so I’m glad it wasn’t too bad!!

may ➹ BookHugger wrote: "for some reason this one was my favorite of the trilogy and i still cannot comprehend why because everyone else haTES it"

same!!! and just in general I’m shocked I like this book since my overall feeling towards the trilogy is Hate

may ➹ cait wrote: "I’m crying because that was me the last 3-4 days trying to binge those books to get them over with! “Keep going for Nikolai... do it for him...”"

oh yeah Nikolai was the only thing getting me through Siege and Storm no joke

may ➹ Jay wrote: "I'm stressed I want to read this series first but I keep hearing it's a struggle to get through! I'll just be a rebel and read SoC first instead yolo"

I read SoC first and I have no regrets!! the trilogy is good for background but it’s not as needed in SoC than in KoS haha

may ➹ Mykalah wrote: "Should this be read before “Six of Crows”?"

I read Six of Crows without reading the trilogy and I was fine! the trilogy helps with background but it’s not vital (whereas for King of Scars, the background DEFINITELY is needed)

Athena Elizabeth I liked them in the order of 3-1-2, it happens 😂