Oksana's Reviews > We Told Six Lies

We Told Six Lies by Victoria Scott

If ‘Gone Girl’ had children with John Fowles’ ‘The Collector’, ‘We Told Six Lies’ by Victoria Scott could easily be one of them.

This YA mistery thriller tells the story of Cobain who planned to run away with his girfriend Molly but instead finds her missing. The police are looking but not hard enough. It’s then that Cobain decides to take matters into his own hands and try to figure out what happened to the girl he loves.

I enjoyed everything about the book. The plot had me intrigued the whole way through, the twists totally blindsided me and had me going like ‘wait… what?’ more than once. The atmosphere was tense and suspenseful. I caught myself thinking ‘boy, am I glad that this is not happening to me!’

The way the story jumps between now and then as well as different POVs added to the experience. Cobain’s parts told in first person and addressed directly to Molly read like his journal revealing his mental state and presenting his view of things. My heart kept breaking a little with each newly learned detail about Molly’s disappearance and their relationship. This poor gentle giant of a boy deserves so much love and warm hugs.

Molly’s parts are told in third person which made it easy to switch between narrators (I always find multiple POVs in a book difficult to switch between and they irritate me immensely). My feelings about her are mixed. She had her share of hardships but the way she manipulated people to gain her objectives sent a chill down my spine.

All in all, this is a nice book which reads very smoothly and might or might not keep you up past your usual bedtime.

Thanks to NetGalley and Entangled Teen for providing a free eARC of the book in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Told Six Lies.

January 14, 2019 – Shelved