C.J. Anthony's Reviews > Out of the Woods

Out of the Woods by Syd McGinley

Jan 24, 2012

bookshelves: ebooks-on-my-nook
Read from January 24 to February 01, 2012

Mothers! and Scat! :) Those were the words I wanted to utter when I got to the end of the book and found out the story continued on in a sequel. Can't wait to pick that one up and find out what happens to Tarin (Twice-Caught) and Garrick (Beak-face).

This is not a type of book that I ever would have thought I would like, but I have to say little Tarin grew on me as I read more and more. There was a lot left unanswered that I hope we will find out more about in the second book.

It is truly a unique world the author has built, some parts of it I liked, some not as much. (I've thoroughly heard quite enough about having to "scat in the bucket." LOL It's clearly a world that has been built up after the apparent downfall of our civilization--known as Before Times. Some parts of the new world are wild (like young boys living free like animals in the woods) and then the parts where the Men live are more civilized. The real people in charge of everything are the "Mothers" -- women are mysterious gods that the men pray to and receive all of their orders and certain supplies from. The Mothers grant the Men wishes, etc. It's almost like (when "Before Times" ended) the women all banded together and took over control of the world, forcing the men to obey and worship them. And that's pretty darn cool, LOL. Am looking forward to seeing if this is one of the answers we find out in the next book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Out of the Woods.