Jillaire's Reviews > Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm

Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm by Kate Douglas Wiggin

Jan 24, 2012

it was ok
Read in January, 2012

I've had this book on my shelf forever. It's part of a classic children's series and I realized I'd never read it. It's very much like Anne of Green Gables. It has the same style and the storyline is very similar. (In fairness, Rebecca was written first.) Rebecca leaves her home (Sunnybrook Farm), where her widowed mother is struggling to provide for their large family, to live with her spinster aunts who can provide a nice home and education for her. Rebecca is the new girl in town who captivates her classmates and bewilders her aunts as her fanciful mind and imagination sometimes get in the way of more practical matters.

I liked reading the book, but couldn't help comparing Rebecca Randall to Anne Shirley, especially since my daughter is reading Anne of Green Gables for the first time. Anne is just so much more likeable and gets into funnier scrapes! Rebecca also fails to really connect with any other character in the book who is her own age. There are no true "bosom friends" in her new small town, and even her own mother and siblings fall short of the intellect and imagination and zest for life that Rebecca holds, and therefore needs in any true companion. Perhaps this failure to find a true friend in her fellow characters also results in a failure to find a true friend in the reader.

This is a nice read, but I'd recommend Anne over Rebecca any day.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm.