Meredith's Reviews > The Escape Room

The Escape Room by Megan Goldin

bookshelves: first-reads

5 stars for the entertainment factor. ZERO stars for believability! In the end, fun beat out reality!

The Escape Room is a psychological thriller about four co-workers locked in an elevator in order to complete a team-building exercise. They think they just need to complete the challenge and they will be free to go, but things don’t go as planned. What seemed like a harmless game becomes MUCH more as the participants struggle to make it out alive.

This is a novel to read if you are looking for some mindless fun. Keep in mind that the characters are awful and have no redeeming qualities. This book also could have benefited from some editing--it is extremely redundant and the narrative structure is a little odd. While this would normally be a turn off for me, the plot and the potential outcome kept me motivated to keep on reading.

On the other hand, in spite of these issues, The Escape Room is compulsively readable! Once I figured out the who and the what behind the escape room, I turned off the critical side of my brain, suspended my disbelief, and enjoyed the crazy ride!

I won a copy of this book in a Goodreads giveaway!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Escape Room.

November 8, 2018 – Shelved (Hardcover Edition)
November 8, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read (Hardcover Edition)
January 13, 2019 – Started Reading
January 13, 2019 – Shelved
January 14, 2019 – Shelved as: first-reads
January 14, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 75 (75 new)

message 1: by JanB (new)

JanB haha...that's all you need to say. The fun factor sometimes outweighs believability and that's ok :) Looking forward to your full review!

Lindsay - Traveling Sister Your zero believability stars made me laugh! 😆Also made me decide to never read this because I have an issue with believability in my books. So glad you enjoyed despite that. Looking forward to your full review! 💜

Marialyce We need more of that fun factor for sure!

Holly  B I don't mind if it entertains me. So Excited for your review now!

Babydimps (Suzy) I am good with suspending belief! I just want to read a good book! Looking forward to your review 😊

RedemptionDenied Excellent review, Meredith!

message 7: by Meredith (new) - added it

Meredith JanB wrote: "haha...that's all you need to say. The fun factor sometimes outweighs believability and that's ok :) Looking forward to your full review!"

SO true, Jan!

message 8: by Meredith (new) - added it

Meredith Lindsay - Traveling Sister wrote: "Your zero believability stars made me laugh! 😆Also made me decide to never read this because I have an issue with believability in my books. So glad you enjoyed despite that. Looking forward to you..."

Lol, Lindsay! So glad I could help!

message 9: by Meredith (new) - added it

Meredith Marialyce wrote: "We need more of that fun factor for sure!"

Yes we do, Marialyce!

message 10: by Meredith (new) - added it

Meredith Holly wrote: "I don't mind if it entertains me. So Excited for your review now!"

Thank you, Holly! It definitely kept my attention!

message 11: by Erin (new)

Erin Clemence lol great review, Meredith! I really love the escape room concept but I don't know if I could get past a novel with awful characters....I'm still on the fence. :)

Selena Great review Meredith, glad you enjoyed this as well.

JV (semi-hiatus) Haha! The zero stars for believability was so precious! lol! Loved your entertaining review, Meredith! Wonderful critique as well. 😊

Holly  B I want to read this soon. I love an entertaining novel, regardless of its believability!

message 15: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Haha! Awesome review, Meredith! :)

Melissa Yay--I cannot wait! So happy to hear this is compulsively readable. Great review, Meredith!

message 17: by Paula (new)

Paula Kalin Superb review, Meredith!

message 18: by KAS (new)

KAS Glad you were able to separate the believability factor and have great fun reading this one, Meredith ;) Fantastic review!! 😀💜

message 19: by Amber (new)

Amber this is going to be a movie too. Awesome review!

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* Awesome review, Meredith! So glad you enjoyed it. This one is on my list.

message 21: by Meredith (new) - added it

Meredith Babydimps (Suzy) wrote: "I am good with suspending belief! I just want to read a good book! Looking forward to your review 😊"

It's fun, but it could have gone the other way--I think I just read this at the right time!

message 22: by Meredith (new) - added it

Meredith RedemptionDenied wrote: "Excellent review, Meredith!"

Thank you so much, RedemptionDenied!

message 23: by Meredith (new) - added it

Meredith Erin wrote: "lol great review, Meredith! I really love the escape room concept but I don't know if I could get past a novel with awful characters....I'm still on the fence. :)"

I completely understand, Erin. I think I read this at the right time, it could have very well gone the other way had I read it at another time. There are a lot of flaws, but I decided to block them out and have fun!

message 24: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Super review Meredith 🥰

message 25: by PorshaJo (new)

PorshaJo Nice review Meredith!

Kendall Hahaha great review Meredith! Yup it was pure fun with this one!!

message 27: by Meredith (new) - added it

Meredith Selena wrote: "Great review Meredith, glad you enjoyed this as well."

Thank you so much, Selena!

message 28: by Meredith (new) - added it

Meredith JV wrote: "Haha! The zero stars for believability was so precious! lol! Loved your entertaining review, Meredith! Wonderful critique as well. 😊"

Awww, thank you JV!

message 29: by Meredith (new) - added it

Meredith Holly wrote: "I want to read this soon. I love an entertaining novel, regardless of its believability!"

Can't wait to see what you think, Holly!

message 30: by Meredith (new) - added it

Meredith Michelle wrote: "Haha! Awesome review, Meredith! :)"

Thank you so much, Michelle!

Susanne  Strong Fantastic review Mer! Zero for believability? I am SO in trouble! I have it to read and I don’t do well with far-fetched plots, lol! I am so glad you ended up giving it high ratings though.. fingers crossed!

message 32: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Great honest review Meredith it was unbelievable for me at times but it was fiction ha ha kept me reading that's for sure. XO <3 :)

RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) Griffin (alwaysdaddyprincess) Kudos winning the book! I as well like your honest review. It was delightful. Hope all is well. Be well.💐🇺🇸

message 34: by Julie (new)

Julie Another terrific review, Meredith! Congrats on the win! 😊

Felicia This is definitely a book to read just for fun. Great review, Meredith 💖

marilyn I agree about the 0 stars for believability. :-) Still enjoyable.

message 37: by Meredith (new) - added it

Meredith Melissa wrote: "Yay--I cannot wait! So happy to hear this is compulsively readable. Great review, Meredith!"

Thank you, Melissa! Looking forward to your thoughts!

message 38: by Meredith (new) - added it

Meredith Paula wrote: "Superb review, Meredith!"

Thank you so much, Paula!

message 39: by Meredith (new) - added it

Meredith KAS wrote: "Glad you were able to separate the believability factor and have great fun reading this one, Meredith ;) Fantastic review!! 😀💜"

Thank you, KAS!

message 40: by Meredith (new) - added it

Meredith Amber wrote: "this is going to be a movie too. Awesome review!"

Thank you, Amber! It has the makings for a great movie!

message 41: by Meredith (new) - added it

Meredith Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* wrote: "Awesome review, Meredith! So glad you enjoyed it. This one is on my list."

Thank you, Mary Beth! I hope you enjoy!

message 42: by Meredith (new) - added it

Meredith Maureen wrote: "Super review Meredith 🥰"

Thank you so much, Maureen!

message 43: by Meredith (new) - added it

Meredith PorshaJo wrote: "Nice review Meredith!"

Thank you, PorsahJo!

message 44: by Meredith (new) - added it

Meredith Kendall wrote: "Hahaha great review Meredith! Yup it was pure fun with this one!!"

Thank you, Kendall! Glad you had fun with it too!

message 45: by Meredith (new) - added it

Meredith Susanne wrote: "Fantastic review Mer! Zero for believability? I am SO in trouble! I have it to read and I don’t do well with far-fetched plots, lol! I am so glad you ended up giving it high ratings though.. finger..."

Thank you, Susanne! I hope you can make it through and suspend your disbelief for a bit!

message 46: by Meredith (new) - added it

Meredith Lisa wrote: "Great honest review Meredith it was unbelievable for me at times but it was fiction ha ha kept me reading that's for sure. XO <3 :)"

Lol, so true Lisa! Glad you enjoyed this too!

message 47: by Meredith (new) - added it

Meredith RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) wrote: "Kudos winning the book! I as well like your honest review. It was delightful. Hope all is well. Be well.💐🇺🇸"

Awww, thank you so much!

message 48: by sue (new)

sue Loved, loved LOVED your review

message 49: by Meredith (new) - added it

Meredith Julie wrote: "Another terrific review, Meredith! Congrats on the win! 😊"

Thank you so much, Julie!

message 50: by Meredith (new) - added it

Meredith Felicia wrote: "This is definitely a book to read just for fun. Great review, Meredith 💖"

Thank you, Felicia! Glad you had fun with this too!

« previous 1