Amy's Reviews > Ripley's Believe It or Not

Ripley's Believe It or Not by Ben Meares

50203301

bookshelves: 2019, day-zero-project, graphic-novels, netgalley

*This review may contain spoilers pertaining to some content found in Ripley's Believe It or Not, though it is minimal spoilage*

I am thus far finding Ripley's Believe It or Not, the graphic novel, intriguing. It is different than other novels, of the graphic variety, that I have followed because it contains more than one story within its pages. I am one of the lucky NetGalley members who was approved to read this book pre-publication, and therefore, it was a free / no cost to me read. However, if I were to have purchased this, the multitude of stories has a more bang for the buck feel to it.

I think that the text is appropriate for most ages; profanity is implied with symbols @$! However, I would not give this to a small child but mid - late teens would be an appropriate audience, I think. (Keep in mind, I don't have my own children. So, for all I know, I just became the bad aunt for giving someone's kid a book they shouldn't be reading). Some of the images are graphic (heeyyyooooo). For example, in the second story, the main character, Phineas Gage, gets a railroad spike through the left side his brain and face due to an explosion gone awry. Though the image is not what I would consider gory, it may still be disturbing to a young audience.

One of my favorite aspects of this novel is the use of color. In particular, I think that the illustrator did a wonderful job giving each story its own color scheme.

Overall, I most enjoyed the tidbits of history I learned from reading this entertaining piece of work, most of which I was entirely unaware. I rate this one a 3.5 - 4. Ripley's Believe It or Not was colorful, interesting, and enlightening.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ripley's Believe It or Not.

January 13, 2019 – Started Reading