Deborah's Reviews > A Vet Vanishes

A Vet Vanishes by N.M. Howell

bookshelves: paranormal, romance

A Vet Vanishes is the second book in the Cats, Ghosts and Avocado Toast novels - a fun, light-hearted, reverse harem series.
Price, her hot trio of sometimes-men-sometimes-house-cats, and Agatha, the ghost of the old witch with the bad attitude, are settling into life together. It isn’t always smooth, but things are looking up for Price now she’s no longer a murder suspect. That is, until her friend, local vet, Tracy, vanishes.
There are other disappearances to add to the mix, and why is Salem suddenly overrun by stray cats?
With a bunch of dodgy suspects, unhelpful police, and no guarantee that her cohorts won’t suddenly turn furry at inconvenient moments, Price is up to her neck in another mystery she can’t let go.
Finn, Tom and Pussy (who still won’t admit to a human name) are slowly developing as they begin to unpick their pasts, which might lead to answers about why Agatha cursed them to become cats in the first place. Some of the situations Price and her men/moggies get into are truly hilarious, and, like the first book, I found myself smiling along at the silliness of it all, while still wanting to read on and find out the answer to the central mystery.
The characters and dialogue are great, the men are hot, and the ghost is as snarky and deliberately inopportune with the timing of her appearances as in book one. I just wish the authors had taken the time for better proof reading – there are quite a few extra and missing words left over from editing, which I find disappointing in an otherwise well-written novel.
These books really should be read in order. Although each has a complete mystery which wraps up by the end, the character development is ongoing over the series, as is the slow burn romance, and the building number of hints about secrets and future reveals I’m looking forward to reading.
I went straight on to buy the next one, so this is a series I will continue to recommend for those who enjoy a fun paranormal romp filled with plenty of inuendo and a healthy dollop of humour.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Vet Vanishes.

Started Reading