Karen's Reviews > If, Then

If, Then by Kate Hope Day

190448

liked it

Hmmmm, a lot of thoughts for this book....

First of all, it's a bit of a mixed genre. What would otherwise be a pretty straightforward general fiction novel has elements of science fiction sprinkled into the plot to make it a notch different than other novels in the genre. Which, for me, as someone who reads across both genres, is not a dealbreaker.

The characters start slow and it took me a while to get into the story, to care about the characters enough to want to know what was going on. But after a while, I was definitely on board. I cared about each of them (a little less about Mark for some reason) and wanted to know how their stories were going to turn out.

I like that the ending was a mixed bag with some going one way and others remaining the same (i don't want to give away anything so I will leave this vague.)

In the end though, I felt like the story didn't take me anywhere. I didn't learn something new. I didn't think differently. I didn't gain some insight. And I think that's because the novel stayed pretty shallow throughout. The author didn't give me enough depth into any of the characters for me to "feel" their struggles. I didn't connect to their humanity in a way these kinds of books can accomplish. Maybe the plot device of using the scifi angle detracted the novel from having to be better.

But I wanted more.

thank you to netgalley and the publisher for an advanced proof in return for an honest review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If, Then.

January 13, 2019 – Shelved