Karen's Reviews > The Care and Feeding of Ravenously Hungry Girls

The Care and Feeding of Ravenously Hungry Girls by Anissa Gray

190448

4.5 stars.

This is one of the few cases where I felt like the blurbs that quoted The Mothers and An American Marriage did a little bit of justice to what this book feels like as opposed to just throwing titles on there to encourage readers to buy and then sorely disappoint them because of the lack of actual resemblance. Even though I'd say The Care and Feeding of Ravenously Hungry Girls is not like either of them, it does have the same feel as both of them in some ways.

This book is about a couple who go to jail for embezzling from their charity and the siblings of the mom, as well as their two teenage kids. The chapters shift perspective mostly among the three adult siblings but there are a few chapters with the dad, too, but not as many. While much of the book is the impact of the incarceration on the kids (and the adult siblings), it gets intermixed with the history of each sibling going back in the past and revisiting abuse in their own childhood, dealing with the scars of that and in some cases working hard to make peace with things. In fact, I'd say each character is on his/her own path to peace in this book. And there are varying levels of getting to it, just like in the real world.

This book was very well written, the characters are deeply developed and there is a wide range of issues raised that are so real and told with such honesty that it's hard not to connect with the characters.

This is definitely up there as one of my favorite reads of 2019 so far.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Care and Feeding of Ravenously Hungry Girls.

January 13, 2019 – Shelved