Karen's Reviews > The Testaments

The Testaments by Margaret Atwood

190448

I read The Handmaid's Tale a handful of years ago. Long enough that I don't remember the details of the plot, recent enough that I remember the impact it had on me. As a fan of Atwood, I couldn't wait to see what she decided to do with a story as influential as this one. It's hard to follow a book that has had so much of an impact on so many people. I was worried it would be didactic. I was worried it would be flimsy. I was worried it wouldn't live up to the hype. I also was worried that since I never watched the TV series, there might be some plot line that I couldn't follow.

As it worked out, I didn't need to worry, for a multitude of reasons. This book, in my opinion, doesn't even try to be influential. If you are reading it to see if it will be a similar experience as reading the first one, you will be sorely disappointed. It's not didactic, mostly because it's not really trying to make a point. It's not flimsy, most especially because of Aunt Lydia's perspective. As for the hype, well it's unclear if it did live to the hype or not.

Atwood is a good writer so the book is written well. There are three perspectives. Aunt Lydia, a girl in Gilead, and one in Canada. There are some twists but not super shocking, in my opinion. And the two girls mostly serve as a way to move the plot forward and as a way to deliver much of the setting but not more than that. Their perspectives aren't all that interesting.

It will not be a book I'll remember forever. It's the kind of book a fan of the first novel would enjoy if you wished you knew more about how Gilead came to be. I am still glad I read it. I especially enjoyed Aunt Lydia's perspective.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Testaments.

January 13, 2019 – Shelved