marilyn's Reviews > The Invited

The Invited by Jennifer  McMahon

bookshelves: traveling-sisters-read, netgalley-2019, netgalley, buddy-read

Middle school teachers, Helen and Nate, living a comfortable, sane life in the city, decide to ditch their jobs, new condo, and city life, after Helen's father dies and has her rethinking what she wants to do with her life. They buy 44 acres in the Vermont woods, with it's very own bog. In line with their new way of life, they are building their house themselves and Helen goes about finding things that are related in some way to Hattie Breckenridge, a rumored witch who lived on that property a century ago. Helen has trouble finding anyone willing to talk about Hattie and in fact, a lot of the local townsfolk seem to be suspicious of Helen and Nate, for buying and living on Hattie's property.

This is not a horror story but it is a ghost story. The scares are subtle and the story is a slow one, building quietly, as we get to know Helen and Nate, in their new surroundings and also get to know a their 14 year old neighbor, Olive and her dad. Olive's mom disappeared the year before and rumors have it that she ran off with a man, much to her husband's utter grief. Olive's aunt Riley watches over Olive and her brother when she can but mostly Olive is on her own, skipping school to look for clues to her mother's disappearance.

Strange things are happening in the tiny town and on Helen and Nate's property, causing friction between the couple as Helen keeps looking into Hattie's haunted past while Nate seems to be on his own supernatural quest, as he tries to follow a white deer through the woods. Then there are some townsfolk who seem to be up to no good, with their seances and secret meetings.

I enjoyed this slow book, especially spunky Olive and her sad father. This was a group read with the Traveling Sisters group on Goodreads and also my Goodreads friend JuJu (Julie). Thank you to Doubleday Books and NetGalley for this ARC.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Invited.

January 13, 2019 – Shelved
January 13, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
March 15, 2019 – Shelved as: traveling-sisters-read
March 15, 2019 – Shelved as: netgalley-2019
March 15, 2019 – Shelved as: netgalley
March 17, 2019 – Started Reading
March 21, 2019 – Shelved as: buddy-read
March 21, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)

message 1: by Kaceey (new) - added it

Kaceey Fabulous review Marilyn! Might be too scary for me! I don’t do too well with ghost stories!🙈

marilyn Kaceey wrote: "Fabulous review Marilyn! Might be too scary for me! I don’t do too well with ghost stories!🙈"

Thank you so much Kaceey 💖 This is really not a very scary story...I'd call it a "cozy" ghost story, and some of the scares are eerie rather than jump out of you boot scary. Still there is violence in the story.

message 3: by Felicia (new)

Felicia Fabulous review, Marilyn 💖 I've never been a fan of ghost stories 😕

marilyn Felicia wrote: "Fabulous review, Marilyn 💖 I've never been a fan of ghost stories 😕"

Thank you Felicia 💕 I tell ya, Theme Music was too much for me although I did like the main character's wit through all the trama. This book might be too tame for people who like really scary ghosts stories.

Patrice Hoffman I'm reading this one now and am only about 20% in but I like it a lot...

Great review!

marilyn Patrice wrote: "I'm reading this one now and am only about 20% in but I like it a lot...

Great review!"

Thank you Patrice 💝 Look forward to your thoughts on the book.

message 7: by Jess☺️ (new) - added it

Jess☺️ Fantastic review Marilyn!!😃

marilyn Jess☺️ wrote: "Fantastic review Marilyn!!😃"

message 9: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie Getting excited about this one!! Great review, Marilyn!! 🤗

marilyn Julie wrote: "Getting excited about this one!! Great review, Marilyn!! 🤗"

Thank you Julie! 💖

message 11: by sue (new)

sue Sounds great, fab review

marilyn Thanks Sue! 💕

message 13: by Jaline (new)

Jaline Great review, Marilyn! This does sound intriguing. :)

message 14: by Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* (last edited Mar 21, 2019 07:50PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* Fab review, Marilyn! So glad you enjoyed it. I am going to try to finish it tonight. I am loving it. 💖💟💖

marilyn Jaline wrote: "Great review, Marilyn! This does sound intriguing. :)"

marilyn Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* wrote: "Fab review, Marilyn! So glad you enjoyed it. I am going to try to finish it tonight. I am loving it. 💖💟💖"

Thank you Mary Beth, it's been fun reading it with you💕🌿💕

message 17: by Judy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Judy Great review Marilyn! Glad you liked it - I have this one coming up to read soon.

marilyn Judy wrote: "Great review Marilyn! Glad you liked it - I have this one coming up to read soon."

Thank you Judy💟 Look forward to your review

message 19: by Meredith (new) - added it

Meredith Fabulous review, Marilyn! I can't wait to read this!

marilyn Meredith wrote: "Fabulous review, Marilyn! I can't wait to read this!"
Thank you Meredith!

Donna Davis Great review, Marilyn. I'm right in the middle of this book, and I too love Olive. But this couple--these guys are hilarious. Oh so earnest.

marilyn Donna wrote: "Great review, Marilyn. I'm right in the middle of this book, and I too love Olive. But this couple--these guys are hilarious. Oh so earnest."

Thank you Donna and I look forward to your review. I personally probably wouldn't be able to decide to build a house and end up making it livable...ha ha

Holly  B Wonderful review marilyn!

marilyn Holly wrote: "Wonderful review marilyn!"

Thank you Holly! :-)

DeAnn Great review Marilyn, I liked spunky Olive too!

marilyn DeAnn wrote: "Great review Marilyn, I liked spunky Olive too!"