Nicholas Finch's Reviews > A Discovery of Witches

A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

bookshelves: books-reviewed

I was recommended this series because of my love of books and the fact that my working life is as an Archivist. I admit I was a bit hesitant, not being a big fan of the 'the latest in thing', but I gave it a try and was greatly surprised.

Not many books can get away with first person PoV and make it engaging enough that you forget you're reading first person. There were moments when I found myself asking, 'did you really need to describe that outfit in detail?' but that was a minor issue.

Diana is an intriguing character, and I liked her instantly for her respect for books. The fact that she wants to be her own person, and do her research and historical studies on her own merit not at the mercy of her heritage of spells, made her relatable in many ways.

I found that I couldn't put the book down, and as I eyed the percentage getting closer to the end, I knew it was going to be left on a cliff hanger, and I would be snagging the next book - which I have already started.

So overall, I'd say it's definitely a fun read.

I love how the author doesn't dumb it down either. She throws out historical references, people and events, and well expects you to know it. If you don't, then go look it up.
1 like · flag