Mary's Reviews > The Road to Grantchester

The Road to Grantchester by James Runcie

I’ve never seen the Grantchester TV show nor read the previously published books in the series, but had heard about both and was interested in the origin story.

Turns out The Road to Grantchester is a much more deeply felt and engaging book than I had expected, one I really enjoyed and think works very well as a stand alone story. The first half, set during the Italian campaign in World War II, is gripping and very well written (some of the best depictions of battle and the life of an infantry soldier that I’ve read, in fact), introducing main character Sidney Chambers and his friends—fellow Cambridge alum Robert Kendall and West End actor Freddy Hawthorne—and setting up the reasons for Sidney’s journey to become an Anglican priest during the second half of the book, which also further develops Sidney’s relationship with Robert’s sister, Amanda. I don’t know if these secondary characters recur in the Grantchester series but I hope they do, as their interactions and repartee are interesting and engaging. I was often tempted to read synopses of the later books to find out what happens between these characters, but thanks to my experience with this introduction to the series, I’m sure I’ll be back to read the rest.

Thanks to NetGalley and Bloomsbury USA/Bloomsbury for giving me a copy of this book in exchange for my honest and fair review; thoroughly enjoyable and recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Road to Grantchester.

January 12, 2019 – Started Reading