Rachel's Reviews > The Sherwood Ring

The Sherwood Ring by Elizabeth Marie Pope

bookshelves: great-clean-reads-for-ya

This is one of those books I read on a whim. Basically, I had no other books to read (very rare in and of itself!) and this one was suggested for those who liked Mara, Daughter of the Nile. So, I picked it up at the library, slightly concerned I wouldn't like it because of the "ghosts".

It's one of my favorite historical romances ever!

The Sherwood Ring starts off with Peggy. Peggy has an unremarkable background. When her father dies, she moves in with her uncle. Her uncle, a modern day scrooge, basically ignores her, leaving Peggy to entertain her lonesome all summer. Boring, right?

That's until she meets the ghosts. Yeah, ghosts - friendly ghosts. I know what you're thinking. This is cheesy. This is like a bad version of Casper. But don't think that! Take it back right now!! These ghosts are more like narrators. They tell of their lives during the Revolutionary War and their relationship to Peggy's uncle's house. The ghosts appear one at a time, telling the story from their prospective, until we get all of it. And let me tell you: their narration is FAR from boring. It's extremely vivid and entertaining.

Peacable (I know, weird name, but it really grows on you!) is definitely my favorite character. He's witty and distant, but completely charming...and he's a British! You know that movie, The Patriot, with Mel Gibson. Peaceable is like the British version of Mel Gibson's character minus the bad guy trying to kill him.

Richard is the American sworn to catch Peacable, who hides in the woods, forms alliances with British sympathizers, and does random acts of damage.

Barbara, even though she's technically dead, is also really great. She really steps out of bounds for her time period. The romance is so sweet and, honestly, unexpected! Her and Peacable, their story, oh, it's just too sweet! And think about a romance between Barbara and her brother's sworn enemy. That gets pretty juicy!

Peggy is a really shy and quiet protagonist. Not sure of herself at all, but I like her okay. She wasn't great, but I definitely liked her. However, her romance with Pat was a little lacking. Pat is just a strange character. Yes, he adds to the story of the book, but we really don't see anything of him. I hardly know anything about him. However, that was the only thing I can complain about.

Overall, I highly suggest reading this book. It's a quick read, though watch out because there are hardly any chapter breaks so once you start, you can't stop!

As for content, it's completely clean. I believe it's considered Juvenile Fiction rather than Young Adult even though the story is about and pertains to Young Adults. Definitely appropriate for all ages.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sherwood Ring.

Finished Reading