Jack Reynolds's Reviews > Ten Count, Vol. 5

Ten Count, Vol. 5 by Rihito Takarai

it was ok
bookshelves: manga

Yeah, I'm now getting to the point where I can't ship this couple anymore, especially after what happened in this volume. There were some sweet moments, but it's not going to make up for the romantic development of dubious consent and Kurose continuing to penetrate Shirotani to the point where the latter forgot the former was even inside him. That's just....no.

Takarai really needs to develop Shirotani's self-confidence more thoroughly outside of what he accomplished here. He still views himself as contaminated, and that's a big hurdle he needs to overcome before this relationship can become healthier. Kurose also needs to not view Shirotani as something to be "cured" or "fixed" due to an event in his own past which was nice to finally get to see, but it didn't add a lot to his character in my eyes.

In chapter 33, the art style has started to shift a bit in terms of how Takarai has drawn faces. I'm not sure if it's for better or worse. That conclusion will be saved until the next volume. Regardless, it's nice to see a realistically censored anus for once.

Last but not least, some of the dialogue really made me laugh this time. "...Would you mess me up inside even more?" and "There's no one in the world who can mess you up like I can, Shirotani." were highlights. It doesn't need to be this melodramatic, but alas, that may be asking for too much.

Hopefully the next volume wraps this series up on a positive note, because it's been a wild ride. From a psychological standpoint, it's fascinating to analyze; from a story standpoint, it's fine enough; and from a smut standpoint, it is kind of sexy. However, it's not looking good from a relationship standpoint to the point where I want to do this: https://youtu.be/XMcm74MKa1s?t=22
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ten Count, Vol. 5.

January 12, 2019 – Shelved