Amanda's Reviews > A History of the World in 100 Objects

Jan 24, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: read-in-2012
Read from January 26 to February 03, 2012

While I'm glad I read this, there were moments that were tedious and seemed self indulgent towards periods of British colonization. It's also worthwhile to note that many of these items were stolen by the British Museum, and while they have been painstakingly cared for, some of the named exhibits do not seem like the true home for these items. However, the book was fascinating and had an innate ability to briefly sum up large periods of history into the fundamental ways that the quality of human life changed or progressed. McGregor seems to have done fairly meticulous research and includes further descriptions from leading historians, artists, and experts on a wide variety of subjects. Overall, I give this book about 3.5 stars, for being interesting, intelligently written, and inclusive of the broad scale of world cultures from two million years ago until today.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A History of the World in 100 Objects.

01/27/2012 page 120
16.0% "So interesting, but at times I have to put this down. Really detailed."
01/29/2012 page 250
34.0% "Reading a few chapters from this a day. So far it's very interesting. I'm at around 350 AD, and just finished learning about spices and sexual wine jugs."
01/30/2012 page 325
44.0% "Moving closer to the great queens and kings...getting a bit bored of pots and pieces of wood."
show 2 hidden updates…