Tori (Book Chick)'s Reviews > The Tattooist of Auschwitz

The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather   Morris

liked it
bookshelves: world-war-2

This book is based on the true story of Lale Sokolov, a Slovakian Jew, and the love he finds at Auschwitz, where he is the man who tattoos numbers on the arms of fellow prisoners. I've read a lot of Holocaust/WWII memoirs- some better than others. This one, though not an actual memoir, just fell a little flat for me. The story in and of itself is harrowing. How can it not be? It's based in Auschwitz with horrible atrocities everywhere you look. But the writing was just so blah. It all seemed so skimmed over, no real depth. Even when I was reading of starving people, and beatings, and murders- there was no real emotion behind the writing. All the horrors were basically in the background of this romance. But even the romance wasn't emotional to me. I think I understand what the author was attempting to do, but it just didn't work. I will agree with Lale and the way he joked about having 9 lives. He was seriously so lucky on so many occasions. And to find love in hell on earth? That is just so wonderful. Overall, the book was fine. I never wanted to just not finish it. But the writing was just ok for me.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tattooist of Auschwitz.

January 12, 2019 – Started Reading