Melki's Reviews > The Sense of an Ending

The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes

Jan 24, 2012

bookshelves: best-of-2012, family-based-fiction

We seem to have little control over our memories. The smallest things - an image, a smell, a color - can trigger scenes from our pasts, with such intensity, that it can cause physical pain.

And then, there is that small grain of doubt. Are we remembering things the way they were, or the way we wished they had been? In our recollections, we surely appear kinder, smarter, younger, thinner and better looking. And we never did anything deliberately cruel... did we?

This is a lovely, lovely book, packed with emotion, and slyly witty.

It is about one man's history, and his regret over a rash act, performed so long, long ago.

History manages to be both "the lies of the victors and the self-delusions of the defeated. Do we remember that enough when it comes to our private lives?"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sense of an Ending.

January 24, 2012 – Started Reading
January 24, 2012 – Shelved
January 24, 2012 – Shelved as: best-of-2012
January 24, 2012 – Shelved as: family-based-fiction
January 24, 2012 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Heather (new) - added it

Heather Just revived this in book club the first quote you put here is fantastic fingers crossed I enjoy it! ( am not used to having books chosen for me)

message 2: by Heather (new) - added it

Heather *received

Lynn Just finished this...made me want to reread "Atonement," as I remember that book inspiring some similar thoughts about memory, unreliable narrators, and self-justification...

Melki I've not read that one. The "surprise" was basically ruined for me by all the chatter surrounding the movie, but I would like to get to it one day.

Glad you liked this one, though. I'm steeling myself for when Judy rips it to pieces at book club;-P