Karen's Reviews > Can You Ever Forgive Me?: Memoirs of a Literary Forger

Can You Ever Forgive Me? by Lee Israel

190448

it was ok

This came up on my library hold so I decided since it was a quick read, I could go ahead and tackle it. I wanted to read it before I see the movie. Because I refuse to see movies without reading the book and I knew I wanted to see this one.

Meh.

The book left so much to be desired. There's nothing to learn or even something to enjoy in this book, for me. While some of the tidbits of the letters she wrote were fun to read, I felt the lack of any emotion, any remorse, or even anything that made this person real for me, stopped me from connecting with the author at all.

I understand this is a true story and the truth likely is that she didn't feel remorse and that she didn't have a big, amazing reason why she did what she did except that she could and she needed/wanted the money. Sometimes the truth is as simple and straightforward as that.

That doesn't mean I have to like it and it doesn't mean it makes a good story. At least not for me.

I will still likely watch the movie, though I am decidedly less excited to do so now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Can You Ever Forgive Me?.

January 11, 2019 – Started Reading