morgan's Reviews > How It Feels to Float

How It Feels to Float by Helena Fox

bookshelves: 2019

(Follow @morganreadsalot on Instagram for more reviews)
Thank you @penguinrandomhouse for this free copy of How It Feels To Float.

This gorgeous and touching book exploring the effects of multi-generational mental illnesses is out May 7th, which is fitting since May in National Mental Health Awareness Month. This may be YA but, like most YA I read, has a viewpoint that I think is important for readers of all ages.

How It Feels To Float is lyrical, and funny, and sad, and sometimes all three at once. I mean, you know a book is gonna be good when it discusses Sliding Doors in all its glory for an entire, albeit short, chapter. Helena Fox has done a beautiful job of diving straight into the realities of mental illness, and not shying away from sharing the darker times OR the happy times in between, which feels very important to me; knocking down the myth that if someone is happy at times, then they must be fine. I also thought it was really important that this is not a saved-by-romance story!

I loved how Fox’s writing style was consistent, but at the same time seemed to shift between cadences and styles to convey the different stages of Biz’s mental illness; manic, numb, depressed, blurry, out of touch with reality, breaking, and emerging from the fog. And, I’ll admit, those last few paragraphs had tears pouring out of my face!

This would be a great read for Mental Health Awareness and I suggest you pre-order or add it to your library hold list!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How It Feels to Float.

January 12, 2019 – Shelved