Ivana - Diary of Difference's Reviews > Pretty in Punxsutawney

28198445

liked it
bookshelves: arcs-2019, ebook, netgalley, owned, young-adult, read-in-2019

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest

What happens when you get stuck in time, re-living the first day in your new school?

Andie is a teenage girl, who loves movies. She is the type of person that knows exactly what to say… after it’s too late to say it. She is quirky, cutishly nerdy, and adorable in a silly way. And when she moves to Punxsutawney (I don’t think I’ll ever pronounce this town correctly), on the first day in her new school, she gets caught up in an endless loop of having to re-live those 24 hours again and again.

As in the movies, she is convinced that the curse can be broken with a true love’s kiss, she goes on a mission to get the boy. But is he the right one? And is true love what breaks the curse?

Not knowing how to end the loop, Andie tries to get first kiss with a guy she thinks is her true love, and when that doesn’t work, she suddenly tries to make the different types of people hang out together and realise that it doesn’t matter how you look like, to be a good person.

I really loved the idea of the loop in a high-school theme, and that was the main reason that I wanted to read this book really badly. I also loved that the main idea of this book was that looks don’t matter, and don’t judge a book by its cover, but I think that the author took this meaning way too far into the book, and it became too unrealistic, that it was laughable.

I enjoyed the layout of the different types of kids in the school, the jocks, the cheerleaders, the goths, the school-paper girls, the nerds. They were all described very realistically, and I enjoyed the times when we would realise that prejudice doesn’t matter. I can relate to a lot of this, because I was hanging out with both nerds and jocks in my high-school times, being a sports person and being a ‘’weirdo’’ that wants to read at the same time.

I also somehow managed to like the movie references, even though at moments, they are too overwhelming, and sometimes completely unrelated to the plot in place.

What I didn’t like, is how Andie kept changing in order to fit, how her behaviour changed, and her mindset during different days. I did not like this at all. I think that a person should always keep being themselves, no matter who they talk to. Doing the thinks she kept doing, only to be liked by one guy was miserable. Ladies – you are beautiful, no matter what you wear or how you do your hair. If that guy really likes you, he wouldn’t care about all these things and he would see within.

In retrospective, this was an enjoyable read. I am glad I read it, but somehow I think I might’ve been too old to read it now. But for you guys that are still in high-school, or love reading about high-school, this one is definitely worth your time.

Thank you to Netgalley and Blink, for providing me a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pretty in Punxsutawney.

January 12, 2019 – Shelved
January 12, 2019 – Shelved as: young-adult
January 14, 2019 – Started Reading
January 14, 2019 –
page 304
100.0% "Finished - review coming soon."
January 20, 2019 – Shelved as: read-in-2019
January 20, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Katiria (new)

Katiria Great honest review Ivana. :)

Ivana - Diary of Difference Katiria wrote: "Great honest review Ivana. :)"

Thank you so much, dear! <3

message 3: by Joe (new)

Joe Krakovsky Another great review, Ivana, and for a reason. Yea, people need to be themselves, but a little change don't hurt, such as brushing ones teeth or combing your hair. When I was sitting there on the steps in front of the gym waiting for my future wife to stroll down the hall in the morning, it never occurred to me that both she and her carpool buddy came towards me from different directions. Little did I realize that she would run upstairs to the girl's restroom, brush her hair, and then come down the stairs at the other end of the hall. All that registered in my love struck mind was 'Wow!'

Ivana - Diary of Difference Joe wrote: "Another great review, Ivana, and for a reason. Yea, people need to be themselves, but a little change don't hurt, such as brushing ones teeth or combing your hair. When I was sitting there on the s..."

Hi Joe, Thank you so much for your comment. I absolutely love your story. And I also agree with you, a little change doesn't hurt, a combing of a hair, a new way of doing your ponytail, starting to wear different earrings, etc, etc...

In this book, the girl was changing herself completely, in order to fit. If she wanted to hang out with the cheerleaders, she would dress, act and talk like them. The next day, same would apply for both. I think this only happens with girls, but if I was a man, I wouldn't want my girl to change so drastically each day, and all in order to fit in society.

I would be myself, as I am, and let society fir to me. We all want to only attract the right people to us, anyways. :)