Avry15's Reviews > Rapture

Rapture by Phillip W. Simpson

Jan 24, 2012

bookshelves: action, supernatural, demons, reviewed, young-adult

originally appeared on:Bookshelf Confessions

I have always read books about raptures..but never before I encountered one, where the story was set after the rapture.. and my verdict is it’s really great!

The cover is oh –so eye-catching… if ever I’ll pass in the bookstore, I’ll definitely grab this book.. what with the flames, the hooded boy with scorching eyes looking back at you, plus swords…lol… Probably the best cover concerning the theme I’ve ever laid my eyes into.

For me, this is another light regarding heroes.. a hero who is not perfect at all, someone who has the tendency of making big mistakes, giving in to temptations, but still has a strong will power.

Mr. Simpson made a wonderful job in giving us glimpses of both Sam’s past and present.. It’s good that we not only know what it is he’s facing now, but how he grow up and about the past before he was even born. It made us see who Sam really is…

It’s a good mix of Japanese principles and culture, and of course Christian beliefs… Fast-paced and engrossing, I find myself facing demons all around and learning to trust other people just like Sam did..

The battle for me, is more like an inner turmoil for Sam, it should have been really hard to be thrust in a fate, you didn’t do anything to deserve..and even if there are things it would seem easier to give in to his true nature, but remembering his master’s word, he continues to do anything for the greater good. Sam is a very likable character… I feel in love with him instantly, even with his horns and inhuman eyes.:D

Although this book, is based on the prophecies of New Testament, basically Revelations, it has nothing to do that would drive non-believers away.. It’s a book for all readers out there who enjoyed a bunch of actions and demons..:)

Mr. Simpson presented a lot of twist and turns in the story, that even if you think where you’re going, you’re suddenly surprised by the exciting happenings. He wrote the book, with so much details that it’s easy to picture Sam with his swords, fighting all those demons and saving the innocent people left on earth.

I also loved the verses in every beginning of the chapter, it’s enlightening and a mirror of what lies ahead… actually, it’s in the end part of the book that I begin to realize it’s a trilogy, with all the climax happening, it just couldn’t fit into a one-chapter end.. So, here I am, left wanting for more!.. I’m overly excited about the next book, and how Sam’s life would go…

Overall, Rapture, is a good-starting book, filled with actions and vivid descriptions of the post-apocalyptic world… Good job Mr. Simpson..:D

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rapture.