Liz's Reviews > The Left Hand of Darkness

The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin

119592

bookshelves: favorites, owned

I've become rather bitter with sci-fi over the years, as it used to be my favorite genre. But you can only read so many space operas and pretentious near futures before it gets to you a little.

And then you decide to give an author a go because of some weird research string you were on... and it rekindles your love of why you started reading it in the first place.

LeGuin approaches sci-fi as it should be; a thought experiment. Instead of spending pages upon pages describing the minutiae of every aspect of the future, she integrates snippets of mythology, politics, and does it in a way that you don't feel is droning on.

There are parts that aren't very action oriented at all, and yet, they don't drag. I have no idea how she does it and am now rather enamored with this author.

As for the book itself, it approaches more than the simple issue of gender; it's almost zen-like, with an exploration of a duality in a whole. And the main character was the type a cranky sap like me could really relate to.

Best book I've read in a long while.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Left Hand of Darkness.

Started Reading
July 1, 2007 – Finished Reading
July 3, 2007 – Shelved
February 9, 2012 – Shelved as: favorites
June 1, 2017 – Shelved as: owned

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Rod (new)

Rod Try Inversions by Ian M Banks - I think you would like it! I am an Ursula fan - The Lathe of Heaven is another good read written by her.

David C. Mueller "Zen-like" is a great description of LeGuin's writing. I agree with assessment of the wonderful novel.

Christine This is exactly what I was thinking while reading this book.