ʙᴇʟʟᴀ.: ☾**:.☆*.:。.'s Reviews > Nocturna

Nocturna by Maya Motayne

5206809

bookshelves: arc

ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review (Thank you!).

DNF at 50% (and hence I will not rate it).

In a world ruled by different kinds of magic, Alfie is a Prince, Finn is a Thief and due to a dangerous card game, they end up meeting. Alfie knows privilege and abundance, Finn knows poverty and hunger, but although they're from different worlds, they both know pain, struggle, and loss.
Nocturna is a Latinx inspired Fantasy. I was so excited to be able to read it, really. Everyone is pointing out the similarities between this and A Darker Shade of Magic. I must be one of the very rare people on the planet who actually did not enjoy ADSOM much, but from what I remember, yes, there are indeed many similarities. However, no surprise because nowadays YA Fantasy is oversaturated with the same themes, the same type of characters, the same kind of plots... over and over again.
At first, this looked like Elena of Avalor Meets Avatar the Last Airbender. The beginning was wonderful, but then the "Darkness" comes and well, I just lost interest.
Worst to me is this: Again, we have the trope of a villainized parental figure. I understand it is important to promote autonomy to adolescents and show unhealthy patterns of some bad parents, and that parents make amazing villains but why do it over and over and over again? Years ago that trope was amazing, my inner teen self was rejoicing. Now, I'm tired of reading about the "parent" villain and I crave to read about a healthy relationship between Parents and their children.
Anyway, I think it's important that the author tried to build a world Latinx inspired and I'm glad she did. I think the story had a lot of potential because (the heroine) Finn has the interesting ability to shift faces and Alfie (the hero) is a sweet cinnamon roll. I enjoyed the slow burn romance, magic system, mythology, and LGBT representation. However, it was not enough to keep my interest.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nocturna.

January 11, 2019 – Shelved