Karen's Reviews > Juliet the Maniac: A Novel

Juliet the Maniac by Juliet Escoria

190448

Wow so many feelings for this book. I don't even really know where to start...

I'll start with part of the book's description that totally made me mad: "An explosive portrayal of teenage life from the perspective of The Bad Friend..." what?! This is a terrible description for the book I read. There are few things that make me angrier than reading blurb copy that was written to raise curiosity/to sensationalize and then book ends up being something completely different and now you're disappointed not because the book was bad but because the blurb set the wrong expectation.

The first sentence of the blurb here in goodreads is closer to the truth of this book: "It's 1997, and 14-year-old Juliet has it pretty good. But over the course of the next two years, she rapidly begins to unravel, finding herself in a downward trajectory of mental illness and self-destruction." but really if I were explaining it to a friend, I'd say this is a book about a 14-year-old who is suffering from several forms of mental illness, most specifically being bipolar. It's the story of her trying to (or her parents forcing) to find her way back. It's raw and honest and disturbing in all the ways life can be when you're suffering from mental illness and are also a teenager.

She is not a "bad friend," she's just a girl who's struggling so very deeply and keeps making choices that don't serve her because she's sick, because she's struggling, because she's lonely, because she feels "not right" inside, because...well for all the reasons many of us struggle during some of the most formative years of our lives.

I can't relate to any of what Juliet does in this novel (side note: or is it non-fiction? I could never be sure and still am really not. If it's meant to be a novel it would have been better served by the main character having a different name. in my opinion this only serves to confuse the reader and doesn't add to the story.) I didn't take any drugs or really much alcohol during my teen years. I don't want to give away much of what happens in the story (even though I think the things she "does" isn't really what the story is about.) But I could relate to her anyway. I could relate to her suffering. I could emphasize with her. The writing was so real that I could almost feel it crawling under my skin.

What was most interesting to me is that I alternated between reading the book as my teen-self and as my parent-of-teen self. I don't even have a daughter but there were parts of the book where I got so mad at her for continuing to self-sabotage and make choices that wouldn't stop hurting her. I felt angry and frustrated and wanted to stop reading. And then there were other parts that brought me right back to my own old teenage self where I could connect with her feelings of emptiness and pain.

Clearly, this book left an impression on me. I will say that I didn't want to be reading it as I was reading it. It was painful and raw. I didn't want to watch her as she was doing so much harm to herself and others. But yet, I am glad I read it. And I will likely think about it for a long while.

[ps. this was my second netgalley read, hence the early review.]

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Juliet the Maniac.

January 11, 2019 – Started Reading