Holly's Reviews > This is Not a Test

This is Not a Test by Courtney Summers

Jan 23, 2012

bookshelves: arc, offered-for-review, 2012, zombie, best-books-read-in-2012, obsessively-readable
Read from January 28 to 29, 2012

In A Nutshell:
Sloane is at the end of her rope. Feeling betrayed by a sister who abandons her to a life alone with their abusive father, Sloane plans to end her life. Little does she know that the world outside her front door is spiraling out of control. The infected are taking over the living, and Sloane finds herself barricaded inside the local High School. A lone girl who wants to die, among 5 other teenagers who desperately want to live.

Thoughts:
This had to be one of the most intense book reading experiences I have ever had. The feeling of both anxiety and claustrophobia was just overwhelming at times. But, not in a way that would make me want to stop reading. In fact, I couldn't put this book down. And when pesky things like work made me have to walk away from this story for a few hours, I could not stop thinking about the characters and where I thought the story was going.

The last third of this book was just unrelenting in it's intensity. The over-all feeling of dread by the final 25 pages was just insane. And the ending didn't not disappoint in the least.

And yes, this is a story about a zombie apocalypse. But it is SO much more than that.

I am in awe of the way this author was able to maintain both the creep factor, and the overwhelming tension through out this book. There was truly no slow parts...no filler. Just a nail-biting "oh-my-gawd-what's-going-to-happen-next?" kind of story.

Bottom Line:
A relentless, completely brilliant book. With zombies.

My YT Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Bookgasmic
My blog: http://ravingbookaddict.blogspot.com/

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This is Not a Test.

01/28/2012
5.0% "Holy mackerel, what a beginning!"
01/28/2012
19.0% "This place always felt like death. Now it's going to keep us alive."
01/29/2012