Cheri's Reviews > The Road to Jonestown: Jim Jones and Peoples Temple

The Road to Jonestown by Jeff Guinn

1994963

bookshelves: 2019-reads, audio, biography-memoir, historical, non-fiction

I loved Guinn's book on Charles Manson and found this one just as well researched and interesting. I admit that I had a tough time focusing on the book from about halfway on to the end but I think that was my own issue rather than anything having to do with the book or narrator.

It was fascinating to hear first hand accounts of how what started as an organization focused on helping people ended up a deadly cult. I was also surprised by how similar some of the practices and beliefs presented here mirror those of Scientology - separating children from parents, banishing ex-members and not being allowed to have relationships with anyone outside of the church, etc.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who has ever been interested in Peoples Temple or Jim Jones.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Road to Jonestown.

April 3, 2018 – Shelved (Audiobook Edition)
January 11, 2019 – Started Reading
January 11, 2019 – Shelved
January 23, 2019 –
16.0% "Back to this one. Very interesting!"
January 25, 2019 –
70.0% "Very interesting to me that there are quite a few similarities between Peoples Temple and Scientology."
January 30, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Megan (new)

Megan I know that this is a book review site; but, there were some excellent documentaries out last year about Jonestown. One was focused on the women around Jones . All of them were absolutely fascinating in a horrific way. I remember when it happened but was too young to really understand. I think A&E ran a couple of the docs.

Cheri There's one on Sundance that was produced by the author of this book, too. It was pretty good.