Christine's Reviews > Night of Miracles

Night of Miracles by Elizabeth Berg

bookshelves: contemporary-fiction, libby-has

4.5 stars rounded to 5 stars for the sheer enjoyment factor

What a wonderfully satisfying read this was! And I liked it as much as the first of this two-book series, The Story of Arthur Truluv. I didn’t think I would as Arthur is a pretty special character, but Lucille fills the starring role beautifully in this story.

Several new characters are introduced that were not featured in the first book. There is the family next store struggling with serious illness, a waitress grappling with romance, a divorcee still regretful of dumping her husband, and an overweight driver named Tiny who needs help with his self-esteem and love life. And of course, Lucille, Maddy, and young Nola return from book one. Lucille is getting older, 88 years old in this installment, but she is still full of life and making the best of each moment. The story is set in a small town in Missouri and is purely about relationships.

This is a really quick read; I read it in two days, which is fast for me. Being captivated by these people right off the bat, I hated to be torn away from the book to deal with real life issues. Some might call this tale sentimental, and it is. But it is done in such a way and with a bit of paranormal thrown in that I was totally charmed! I so enjoyed the opportunity to visit this little town again. It left me with all the feelings.

Elizabeth Berg is a new author for me. I am happy to see she has written a LOT of novels, and I look forward to diving into some of her other works soon. I highly recommend this two-book series (most definitely best read in order) to all looking for something sweet and bewitching.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night of Miracles.

January 11, 2019 – Shelved
January 11, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
January 11, 2019 – Shelved as: contemporary-fiction
February 3, 2019 – Shelved as: libby-has
February 7, 2019 – Started Reading
February 8, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

message 1: by Nilufer (new) - added it

Nilufer Ozmekik Great review Christine, I was really curious about this book👏🏻

Christine Thanks, Nilufer! Highly recommend!

Esil So glad you enjoyed this one too, Christine. I found both of these books charming.

message 4: by Terence M (new)

Terence M Lovely review, Christine! Your enjoyment of, and enthusiasm for the book shine through!

Toni Christine, perfect review! I enjoyed both books as well. In my review of this second one I just couldn't collect my thoughts and rambled on and on. When I read yours, I said, well that's the way to do it! 😃 Thanks so much.

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* Wonderful review, Christine! Glad you loved this one. So many people seem to love this series. Does it have any suspense in them? I know it's not a thriller but I do need a little suspense when I read a book or at least keeping me intrigued.

message 7: by Christine (last edited Feb 09, 2019 09:35PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Christine Esil wrote: "So glad you enjoyed this one too, Christine. I found both of these books charming."

Thanks so much, Esil!

Angela M Christine, very nice review. I liked the first one better, and so glad you enjoyed them both .

Christine Thanks, Angela. It was a close call, but Lucille really stepped up!

Chris Hi Christine! I’m so glad you enjoyed this one! Great review. I’m looking forward to getting to this one as I loved the first one.

Christine Thanks, Chris! Enjoy!

message 12: by Mackey (new)

Mackey Wonderful review! Do you know that I've never read any of her books. I'm told that I should try just one so maybe I will start with this one.

Christine Well, I had a couple of other books of hers on my list, Mackey, but hadn’t read them. A new Goodreads friend highly recommended Arthur Truluv for me, so I placed it right at the top of the list and loved it! I am eager to read more Elizabeth Berg. And thanks for the kind words.