Rose's Reviews > Cash

Cash by Garrett Leigh

What an absolute corker of a book! Garrett Leigh has done it again!

I was just so into this book, man. Everything from the setting to the plot to the characters was so fricking believable (apart from the weird line about MI5 at the beginning). I genuinely felt like I was right there beside Cash and Rae the whole time.

Without giving anything away this story is a wonderful, but emotionally taxing, take on the fox hunting that’s still rife in England despite the bans, and the sabateurs who literally risk their lives and their mental health trying to stop it.
It’s an emotional look into how deep someone is willing to go to save innocent animals, and how the outcomes of the hunt can scar you in ways you count even begin to explain to someone who doesn’t fully understand the horrors of a hunt.

This is a no spoiler review because I’m not a total arse, but there are a couple of things I want to mention that I loved - things that keep me coming back time and time again for another of Garrett Leigh’s beautiful novels.

The first is that I have never, and I’m not exaggerating when I say this, never found an author who describes love quite the way Leigh does. I’m a sucker for a good romance, whether it be LGBTQIA+ or het and I have never felt as emotionally invested in a love story as I do when I read a Garrett Leigh novel.
Sometimes it’s not even in the characters words, it’s just in the feelings that you get from a specific scene that make you feel real goddamn emotions.

It’s so obvious right from the get go that Rae and Cash are perfect for each other - and that’s before you even get to the part where they work out they have so much in common. I was hooked from the first chapter and I knew these were two characters I had to get to know.

The best part about her writing though is that you don’t need to read any specific tropes or trauma for you to understand how much the characters care about each other and love each other. You can see it right from the start.

There are some mildly violent scenes and also some heated arguments in this book and the hurt/comfort scenario that comes after them is truly a work of art. I’m not usually one for books that have the whole “argument before they realise they love each other” shit, but Garrett Leigh does it in a way that you already know how much they love each other, you’re just waiting for their dumb asses to catch up.

The second thing that keeps me coming back is the way every single one of her series’ seems to intersect in one way or another.
There’s something so comforting about a series with reoccurring characters and old favourites. Especially when one from an entirely different series is name dropped and you’re like YES! YES I KNOW THEM! Ya know?
For example the Urban Soul (is it even called that?) series bled into the Skins series, and I’m fairly certain the Skins series has bled into this one with the mention of Rhys. Correct me if I’m wrong. Actually, no, don’t. Just let me have this.

Another thing I loved about this book was seeing so many of the characters do things that were good for others. Rae and Cash dedicated their lives to saving animals, Lucky is in tune with other people’s feelings to the point where his presence is genuinely soothing and comforting, and Dom is building housing for the underprivileged because he’s desperate to give back.
Everyone is doing something good for the people around them and it’s so refreshing. I’m tired of reading about CEO’s and rich people who do absolutely nothing to help anyone else. If I wanted to read about that, I’d pick up the newspaper.

I could write an entire essay on what I loved about this book, but I’m going to stop here because I’d be here all night and probably part of the way through tomorrow too if I continued. If you’ve read to this point of my rambling crappy review, I strongly encourage you to give this book a go! Maybe start from Lucky if you haven’t read the first yet.

All in all I absolutely loved Cash and if I could give it more than a five star rating, I would. A huge thank you to Signal Boost Promotions for providing me with an ARC of this book and I can’t wait for the series to continue.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cash.

January 11, 2019 – Started Reading
January 11, 2019 – Shelved
page 110
"YES! I am loving the activism and the need to do good things for nothing in return."
January 12, 2019 –
page 350
"I’m not crying, you’re crying"
January 12, 2019 –
page 350
"Yo yo yo did this series just intersect with the Skins series???????? God I hope so because I love how Garrett Leigh connects all her characters"
January 13, 2019 –
page 489
"Sprig is the rat. I’m calling it now"
January 13, 2019 – Finished Reading