Sheyla ✎'s Reviews > The Friend Zone

The Friend Zone by Abby Jimenez

bookshelves: 2019, 5-fangs, best-2019, heartbreak, netgalley, publisher, arc, romance

I'm amazed by Abby Jimenez's ability to write a romance dealing with the main topic of infertility.

I was pulled into The Friend Zone from the very first chapter. There were some gut-wrenching moments when I couldn't stop myself from spilling tears but also so many moments where the sarcastic humor was freaking awesome.

The first time we meet the main characters Kristen Peterson and Josh Copeland is when they were involved in a fender bender. Their first interaction didn't go that great. Their second one was a little bit better.

Kristen runs her own business. Her company makes products for dogs including ladders to help small dogs climb, she makes cute little shirts too. In regards to her personal life, she's dating a marine Tyler (who's overseas), has a cute little dog (who hates the marine), doesn't have a close relationship with her mother and she's dealing with a medical condition that will end up in infertility.
The moment she meets Josh, she knows she's in trouble. He's handsome, super nice and available as her new carpenter on his days off. She has never cheated and she won't start now. Making Josh believe she has no interest in him is a priority. She will wear unattractive clothes, no makeup, and even rulers to prevent him from getting any ideas.

Josh has recently moved to California to be closer to his best friend Brandon who's getting married soon. He's joining the same firehouse as him but his new status as probie is not a fun one. He's frustrated with some of the calls they get. Some are completely and truly unnecessary. As for his personal life, his last relationship ended on a bad note. He wanted kids and his girlfriend didn't. He let her have everything they had but his credit card balance is still quite high. He needs cash fast to pay his debts and when an offer to be Kristen's new carpenter presents, he has no other choice but to take it. He discovers that he likes Kristen. He likes her sense of humor, her honesty, and her loyalty. He realizes she's not a cheater but he wants her in his life.

Kristen and Josh are both very creative characters. I love both. Kristen was funny, sarcastic and a true friend to Sloan. Yes, I got annoyed at Kristen more than once for pushing Josh away but I understood why she did it.
Josh was perfect. He had my heart. He was understanding and dedicated to Kristen and his best friend Brandon. He fell for Kristen's dog too (which is a bonus in my book).

The last third of The Friend Zone was hard to read. Plenty of sadness. I was devastated for Josh but even though the ending had some bittersweetness to it, the sweet overcame the bitter.

I was excited to see that Abby Jimenez is writing a second book with a secondary character. I'd love to see where she takes her story.

Cliffhanger: No

5/5 Fangs

MrsLeif's Two Fangs About It | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Friend Zone.

January 11, 2019 – Shelved
March 10, 2019 – Shelved as: netgalley
March 10, 2019 – Shelved as: publisher
March 10, 2019 – Shelved as: arc
March 10, 2019 – Shelved as: romance

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

message 1: by Felicia (new)

Felicia Fantastic review, Sheyla 💖

message 2: by Aga (new) - added it

Aga Durka Wonderful review, Sheyla 💕. Thanks to you this book is now on my TBR list 😉

Sheyla ✎ Felicia wrote: "Fantastic review, Sheyla 💖"
Thank you, Felicia!

Sheyla ✎ Aga wrote: "Wonderful review, Sheyla 💕. Thanks to you this book is now on my TBR list 😉"

Thank you, Aga. I do hope you love it as much as I did.

message 5: by Melissa (new)

Melissa This sounds so good! Nice review, Sheyla! 💜

Sheyla ✎ Melissa wrote: "This sounds so good! Nice review, Sheyla! 💜"

Melissa, it was great. A 5 for me! I can see it as a movie.

message 7: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Great review, Sheyla!

Sheyla ✎ Deanna wrote: "Great review, Sheyla!"
Thank you, Deanna. It was a fast read.

message 9: by Yun (new)

Yun Great review, Sheyla! It sounds like such a heartbreaking, but also a heartwarming story. I'm glad you loved it! Yay for a 5 star read. :)

Sheyla ✎ Yun wrote: "Great review, Sheyla! It sounds like such a heartbreaking, but also a heartwarming story. I'm glad you loved it! Yay for a 5 star read. :)"
Thank you, Yun. I'm so excited it was a 5 for me and yes, it was both heartbreaking and heartwarming.

message 11: by Holly (new)

Holly  B Glad this was a five star!!

Sheyla ✎ Holly wrote: "Glad this was a five star!!"
Me too!!!