Jennie Louwes's Reviews > The Christmas Blessing

The Christmas Blessing by Donna VanLiere

Death has been a part of my life since I was 10 years old. For me, life has been equal parts pain and joy. This book represents the paradox well.

I didn't read "The Christmas Shoes" in novel form but am familiar with the song. This book is a sequel to the storyline that came before. Even though I hadn't read the first book it wasn't a hindrance to the progression of this story at all. This book stands on its own as long as you have some knowledge of "The Shoes".

Despite being a book that was predictable in parts it moved me to tears. You'll need a Kleenex during the last quarter of this book and that's a good thing. If not for the emotions that came along with this read it would have scored lower than a 4 star for me.

4 stars (I really liked it) because of the emotional value, 2 stars (its okay) because the beginning moved slowly for me, 3 stars (I liked it, but...) because of its predictability; however, emotional quotient trumps all and I'll stick with the 4 star rating given.

This is another book, much like "The Christmas Sweater", that I'd be able to hand pick some nuggets of truth out for my tweens to use for Homeschooling copy work. Truths adults seem to inherently know but kids haven't fully been exposed to or grasped yet.

BTW, any book that begins its chapters with classic quotes already has found a way to speak to my heart clearly. My favorite quote from this book: "Hope, like faith, is nothing if it is not courageous; it is nothing if it is not ridiculous." -Thornton Wilder

If you knew, as a young mom, you were going to die while your children were still young would you write them letters to read as they lived through their life's changes? The mother's letters were a beautiful touch throughout this book. They completed the storyline well and made it fully rounded out in ways it wouldn't have been without them present.

I'd like to think I would write letters too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Christmas Blessing.

January 11, 2019 – Started Reading