TS Chan's Reviews > The Perfect Assassin

The Perfect Assassin by K.A. Doore

liked it
bookshelves: arc-review-copy

I received an advanced reading copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

A decent debut, The Perfect Assassin impressed me most with its fascinating worldbuilding.

It is refreshing to see more and more fantasy releases of late not relying on the more traditional Europe-centric medieval setting for its worldbuilding. In The Perfect Assassin, the setting was decidedly Middle Eastern with an interesting twist. Ghadid was a city built hundreds of feet above sand dunes, made up of numerous connected platforms balanced on top of pylons. As the spirits of the deceased roam the sand dunes seeking for new bodies, such construction of the city was meant as a form of protection. The possession of such spirits can render a person mad, and sometimes even kill. My favourite element in the worldbuilding was the currency of water, which fit well into the desert scenario. The commodity was not only precious for sustaining life, it also powered miraculous healing and the magic needed to control the deadly spirits. As such, the deliberate act of wasting water can bring about a death sentence.

The story was primarily centred around a murder mystery. One which was tasked to a freshly ‘graduated’ assassin to solve. Amastan was not your usual assassin. While he was delighted to pass his final test, he was also relieved that learn that there was a ban on assassin contracts because he wasn’t certain that he can kill. A senior official, termed as a drum chief, was found dead when contracts were supposed to be non-existent. And Amastan had to find out who did it, or his entire family of assassins would take the fall for the murder.

I love mysteries in my stories. It can overshadow the assassin aspect and I’d still be fine with it, so long as I also cared about the characters. This was where the book fell short for me. The writing was easy to read. The setting was atmospheric. Some of the action scenes were exciting. However, I was just not fully invested in Amastan, the main protagonist. I wouldn’t call the character development disengaging as we do get to be in Amastan’s head pretty much all the time. Somehow or rather, the character development didn’t resonate with me all that much. For those who are looking for diversity and inclusiveness in their reads, you would get LGBT representation in this book. And for the record please, the gay romance had absolutely no bearing on how I felt about the characterisation.

The handling of the plot and pacing also felt a bit clumsy at times. Fortunately, it did not extend to the ending which I found satisfactory. The title of the book can be deceiving as well, as it did not in any way allude to a story about a superlative assassin with loads of badass action. It did, nonetheless, make sense right at the end.

The Perfect Assassin will be released on 19th Mar 2019.

You can pre-order this book from: Amazon US | Amazon UK | Book Depository (Free shipping worldwide)

You can also find this and my other reviews at Novel Notions.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Perfect Assassin.

January 10, 2019 – Shelved
January 10, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
January 10, 2019 – Shelved as: arc-review-copy
February 24, 2019 – Started Reading
February 27, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Gieliza (new) - added it

Gieliza Sounds good! I love mysteries in my stories as well so this looks perfect for me. Will keep an eye out.

message 2: by TS (new) - rated it 3 stars

TS Chan Gieliza wrote: "Sounds good! I love mysteries in my stories as well so this looks perfect for me. Will keep an eye out."

Hope you'll enjoy it more. The setting is great though...

message 3: by ChopinFC (new)

ChopinFC Lovely review my friend! Too bad this fell short in the end. I 100% agree if I don't feek]l a connection with the protagonist (even if he's evils and a killer), the story just puffs away... One of main reasons Stormlight is so dear to my heart, are the characters!!! So manyyyy..Kaladin, Dalinar, Szeth,Syl....*list goes on indefinitely*

message 4: by TS (new) - rated it 3 stars

TS Chan ChopinFC wrote: "Lovely review my friend! Too bad this fell short in the end. I 100% agree if I don't feek]l a connection with the protagonist (even if he's evils and a killer), the story just puffs away... One of ..."

Thank you, my friend! Oh yes, absolutely spot on. Otherwise, there is no emotion..