Ariana Deralte's Reviews > The Soprano Sorceress

The Soprano Sorceress by L.E. Modesitt Jr.

2205678
Jan 23, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: fantasy, magic, dropped-dull
Read from January 23 to 29, 2012

I wanted to enjoy this book because the premise of a singer being transported to a world where singers are the wizards was a great idea. Unfortunately, the pace and repetitiveness of the book really brought my enthusiasm down until I finally gave up about half way through the book.

The sad thing was that half way through the book the only interesting thing that had happened was a battle. Instead, we are treated to a litany of complaints as the main character lives and travels - she has a constant headache, she hates how bad the food and accommodations are, she doesn't understand this new world, etc. I'm a fan of realism in a fantasy series, but not to the point where that realism is repetitive and just padding. The main character is trying to think deep thoughts but really all her complaints are superficial (and she's rather messed up in that she's horrified by killing people (though she keeps doing it), but doesn't think twice about permanently brainwashing a person). I initially liked the main character for being unusual for the genre, but after awhile, I found I didn't care what happened to her, or to the world she lived in.

What didn't help were the constant info dumps where characters threw a million names with boring information like "that country is in the south" attached which we, as readers, were apparently expected to remember later. The hardest part was all the scenes without the main character which showed a number of other characters in the world whose names and countries I couldn't keep track of to save my life. Also, this book may hold the record for most vaguely motivated villains ever.

When I realized I was dreading returning to reading this book, I had to stop.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Soprano Sorceress.

08/28/2016 marked as: read