Helen's Reviews > Enchantée

Enchantée by Gita Trelease

bookshelves: arc, competent-female-characters, fantasy, favourites, magic, reviewed, young-adult, diversity

Enchantée is about magic, gambling, deception and hot air ballooning, and it has the best love triangle that's not really a love triangle since the days of Jem and the Holograms.

It's Paris, 1789, and Camille has lost both her parents to smallpox. She and her sister are struggling to survive, the only way she can earn money is to use her short-lived magic - la magie - to change iron nails into coins for long enough to buy bread. When she finds that she can also use her magic to change the numbers on playing cards she starts gambling to make money to pay the rent. But the glamour of la magie is addictive and it takes a toll on her health as she starts to get sucked into the glittering world of Versailles.

I loved the story, and then to make it even better there was a bit of a side story about a group of hot air ballooning pioneers, one of whom catches Camille's eye!

I liked Camille because she's not perfect, she's doing her best to provide for herself and her sister but she gets addicted to la magie and to the glamour it gives her. She finds that she can't stop herself and even when she has all the money she needs to take them out of poverty she keeps going back. Camille also has a practical side to her - she wants to be a printer like her father was.

It's super easy to read and the writing brings the sumptuous world of Versailles and the harsh reality of struggling to survive in Paris vividly to life. The author is a wonderful storyteller and it's hard to believe this is her debut novel. I also love that it's a stand-alone and not a series.

Utterly wonderful, I got completely wrapped up in it and I didn't want it to finish.

I received a free copy in return for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Enchantée.

January 10, 2019 – Shelved