Marshall's Reviews > Radical Acceptance: Embracing Your Life With the Heart of a Buddha

Radical Acceptance by Tara Brach

M 50x66
Jan 23, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: buddhism, non-fiction, self-help, to-read
Read from January 23 to February 03, 2012

A practical and useful book about the practice of Buddhism. It doesn't get bogged down in theory, In fact, the fundamental theory of Buddhism--the Four Noble Truths and Eightfold Path--aren't even mentioned. That's a relief for me, because it's very easy for me to interpret these as aversive to the experience of living.

This book had the opposite effect on me. It focuses instead on "Radical Acceptance" which is an unfortunate term she uses for awareness and allowing of all experience that arises within us. She's clear that this doesn't mean allowing people to do whatever they want--it means allowing our experience of what happens, and then acting with mindfulness and wisdom.

The best parts of this book are the vignettes, all of which are quite profound and inspiring.

This is the perfect book for anyone who doesn't care about learning about Buddhism, so much as how to apply its wisdom to their lives.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Radical Acceptance.

05/17 marked as: currently-reading
05/20 marked as: read
11/07 marked as: to-read

Marshall Julia wrote: "Are you by chance Buddhist? Just wondering."

I often wonder that myself. I've learned so much about Buddhism, but I've still yet to find a definitive definition of "Buddhist." The best I could come up with is someone who follows the teachings of the Buddha, practices applying them in their lives, and adheres to the five precepts. By that definition, I'm not a Buddhist. I certainly benefit greatly from the teachings, and I meditate regularly, but I'm just too much of a hedonist to be a Buddhist. That's why I liked this book so much. Because it was so practical, nothing about it turned me off, not even the occasional forays into Buddhist mythology.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I just wrote this long, sophisticated and well-worded response to that, but then I deleted it all and decided to simplify it.

Good for you. I am glad that you are able to identify your thoughts and feelings and make your own path.