Gator 's Reviews > The Jungle Book

The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling

liked it

I didn’t realize the version of the book I had had 4 stories out side of what I thought the jungle book was. I didn’t realize it was a compilation of stories I was just looking to read to my children about Mowgli, however we did enjoy the others. Here are our favorite stories in order :
1. Rikki-Tikki-Tavi is our favorite story in the jungle book.
2. The 3 Mowgli stories (Mowglis brothers, Kaa’s hunting, “Tiger! Tiger!”) were # 2 and the only thing I wanted to read , I thought the whole jungle book was about mowgli, and that’s why reading books is important because that’s how you learn what a book contains.
3. The white seal
4. Toomai of the elephants
5. Her Majesty’s servants - is my least favorite.

May i suggest if you are looking to read a shorter version of the jungle book, you pick one with just the Mowgli stories and add in Rikki Tikki Tavi, the others you can do without in my opinion. There are plenty of jungle book publications and all are very different, so choose wisely and enjoy the jungle book it is a true classic and well worth reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Jungle Book.

January 9, 2019 – Started Reading
page 246
January 29, 2019 –
page 283
January 31, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

sheaintgotnoshoes The Disney version was a favorite of mine as a kid in the 60s, I still love it now at 58 !

Gator The book is way different, mowgli is savage in the book. Also the book consists of
Different characters, only the first 3 story’s deal with the jungle book pertaining to mowgli. It’s different characters and story’s after that, like the white seal and rikki tikki tavi...

message 3: by Honza (new)

Honza Prchal I LOVE the White seal, though the film version was incredibly and unusually faithful to the story, and colours my recollection of it.
I actually really like Her Majesty's Servants. Sorry you didn't care for it. I wonder if you'd dislike the Richard Sharpe stories by Bernard Cornwell too. I suspect so. They're similar, if far more brutal.
Read your kids The Hobbit while they're young. It's an excellent opportunity to do dad voices.

Gator We are on a Ronald Dhal kick right now, we are definitely going to read two more Dahl and then move on, I was thinking either EB White or CS Lewis but I love the idea of reading them the hobbit , thanks for putting that in my head.

message 5: by Honza (last edited Feb 20, 2019 05:28AM) (new)

Honza Prchal I'm so pleased you are attracted to reading The Hobbit, as Tolkien composed it for his sick six-year-old. I regret intensely not reading it to my child before someone interfered (and convinced her she's too big to have stories read to/with her, and that fantasy is silly - she got over it, but after the golden window for reading together). I did read the first six Narnia books to her, though, and I treasure those memories.
Coincidentally, I'm reading Dahl's WWII air war in the Levant short story right now.
I dislike Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, though. Willy Wonka is the Devil Himself.

Gator I will definitely be reading them the Narnia books. If you don’t mind me asking, what do you mean interfered ? Is your daughter ok?

message 7: by Honza (new)

Honza Prchal Grandma convinced her that at age almost 5, she was too old. I remain miffed.

Gator We are never too old for any book