Shaye Miller's Reviews > Momentous Events in the Life of a Cactus

Momentous Events in the Life of a Cactus by Dusti Bowling

bookshelves: must-read-in-2019

If you've read Insignificant Events in the Life of a Cactus, then surely you've grown attached to Aven, Connor, and Zion. These characters shared the misfortune of being left out, bullied, and ignored for much of their lives before finding comfort in one another. Well in book #2, Zion is still fairly timid, struggling to make eye contact. Connor still has continual tics due to Tourette syndrome. And Aven is still armless, obviously. But things are pumped up a notch as the friends enter high school with Connor going to a different school across town AND Aven attracting the attention of one of the most popular high school athletes.

School aside, there are plenty of other happenings in Stagecoach Pass: their beloved llama, Spaghetti, appears to be very ill, Henry's memory seems to be worsening, Josephine is navigating her new life in an assisted living community, Aven is learning to jump a horse, and she suddenly has a desire to find her biological father. I LOVED THIS SECOND BOOK!!! I can't even express how happy I was to be reunited with these lovely characters. I adore Aven's quirky sense of humor and the way she faces and resolves conflict with her friends. I laughed and cried throughout the story, feeling all the feels. It's no surprise that book #1 still has a 4.34 Goodreads rating and book #2 already has a STARRED review from Kirkus. Do yourself a favor and pre-order it right now!

For more children's literature, middle grade literature, and YA literature reviews, feel free to visit my personal blog at The Miller Memo!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Momentous Events in the Life of a Cactus.

January 9, 2019 – Shelved