Elaine's Reviews > Secret Lady

Secret Lady by Beth Trissel

32020643

bookshelves: 2019, adult, adventure, authors-to-look-out-for, favorites, fantasy, historical, paranormal, puzzles, mystery, time-travel

This is a brilliant addition to this amazing series of time travelling ladies! In this story, Evie McIntyre is staying with her Gran in Lavender House, one of the few properties to survive "The Burning" of the Shenandoah Valley by Sheridan's troops during the Civil War. She is always wary of the closet in her bedroom as she hears strange whispers being emitted from it but she never dreamed that it would prove to be part of a portal which transposes her from the current time back to the Civil War. She certainly wishes she'd learned more about that era when she meets Jack Ramsey, a former Confederate officer who is helping to defend the people in the area and acting as a guide for the Unionist Underground Railroad.

It is a story of unexpected romance, danger, history and an intriguing page turner that I thoroughly enjoyed reading. I really enjoyed how the author cleverly brings the past to life, contrasting many different aspects then and now as well as giving information of historical events as it impinges on the lives of characters as part of the story. I knew very little about the time of the Civil War and the details shared as part of the story I found fascinating. It is a well crafted story, an enthralling read and I have no hesitation in very highly recommending it - I loved it and can't wait to read more from this exceptionally talented author.

I requested and was gifted a copy of this book without obligation and this review is my honest opinion after choosing to read the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Secret Lady.

January 9, 2019 – Started Reading