Kate's Reviews > The Double Bind

The Double Bind by Chris Bohjalian

Jul 08, 2008

did not like it
Read in July, 2008

** spoiler alert ** I stayed interested throughout which says something. But it did get pretty repetitive at times. Maybe this is necessary for a book that's told from the perspective of a delusional person?

I am thankful that I watched The Great Gatsby recently otherwise I would've been lost on all the references and would've given up. And the photographs were very cool.

I am usually suspicious of male writers who try to write from women's perspectives. Especially because Bohjalian is a middle-aged author writing from the perspective of a young attractive 20-something woman who has a thing for middle-aged guys. Come on! That dynamic made any sexual references seem gross. And it made the brutal attack description seem really gross. Offensive even.

The minor characters were pretty shallow, except for Talia & David maybe. What was the point of Whit? I kept waiting for something big to come out of him but it never happened.

At times it read like the Christopher Pike books I read as a kid. I don't think that's a compliment. Ok just had to downgrade from 2 stars to 1.

The MOST annoying thing was the lengthy conversations where Laurel would interview people about Bobbie. (And why is it Bobbie with an "ie"? Isn't that the feminine spelling? The character seemed more like a Bobby than a Bobbie.) She would sit with perfect strangers and they would pour their hearts out about every tiny detail of his life which didn't seem plausible. I guess in the end we learn that this is because these conversations are all Laurel's delusion. But there's not enough clarity in the story while they are happening to justify their lengthy repetive nature.

So I am left wondering: Why is this book all over the front door displays at Barnes & Noble? Probably b/c they are trying to get rid of it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Double Bind.

05/23/2016 marked as: read

Marilyn Carnahan And what was the author's obsession with the phrase "liqueur snatch?" It was repeated over and over. Was it supposed to be clever or something? Weird, weird book.