Karen's Reviews > The Happiness Project

The Happiness Project by Pippa James

190448

liked it

3.5 stars.

I joined netgalley in 2009, and then proceeded to do nothing for ten years. Last Monday, I finally decided to dig up my login information and see if I can start using it. The Happiness Project was the first book that accepted me so I decided it had to be the first one I read.

And I am glad I did.

Apparently this is not the first book, so the author jumps right into the story without giving too much of a background on each of the characters. This didn't bother me at all, though I will say by the end of the story I still couldn't really tell you much about the physical characteristics of any character except that one of them is pretty petite. This, too, wasn't a huge problem for me. I did feel like I got to know each of the characters as a "person" and they felt uniquely different from each other, and reasonably three-dimensional to me. They were flawed, interesting, thoughtful characters.

The book was a fun and quick read. When I was reading it, I liked getting lost in their stories and when I wasn't reading it, I found myself looking forward to reading more. While there were some learning moments for each character, this wasn't a story of major growth.

When they first make the "Happiness Project" I thought it would end up being that they would each learn something about what happiness meant for them and how their project/goal would shift with the learning etc. but it wasn't a book like that. It was light, fun and one of those books that come together beautifully at the end, leaving you smiling and happy.

If you're looking for a deep, literary book that will make you learn about new cultures, or appreciate complex characters, I wouldn't recommend you pick this one. But if you want to have fun, enjoy a good story with characters that are real and experience real-life situations, especially around marriage and motherhood, I think this is a fantastic pick.

I gave it a 3.5 stars because while I would have liked a bit more depth, I really enjoyed the story and had fun the whole time I read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Happiness Project.

January 9, 2019 – Started Reading