Ace's Reviews > Golden State

Golden State by Ben H. Winters

4 stars

Another great read by science fiction novelist Ben H. Winters. This had all the elements of a dystopian novel, fear and hope under new systems of belief and justice and the establishment of a new normal. With hints of 1984 and a touch of supernatural, main protagonist Lazlo Ratesic can sniff out a lie in a noisy and crowded café, and lies are just not on in the Golden State.

As far as mystery’s go, this one had me guessing all the way with its current story arc and the flashbacks to Lazlo’s big brother Charlie who was the supreme ‘Speculator’ and hero of the State.

I really enjoy this author and I very much liked Underground Airlines, which was released in 2017. I must add some of his back catalogue to my reading list and I look forward to what he comes up with in his next book.

Thank you to Random House UK, Cornerstone and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Golden State.

January 9, 2019 – Shelved
January 23, 2019 – Started Reading
January 27, 2019 –
page 115
January 29, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Great review!! :)

message 2: by Ace (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ace Deanna wrote: "Great review!! :)"

Thanks Deanna :)

Sherri I just finished this and loved it. I’m going to binge on Ben Winters for awhile.

message 4: by Ace (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ace Sherri wrote: "I just finished this and loved it. I’m going to binge on Ben Winters for awhile."

I have a few on loan as well Sherri, he is a terrific writer.